Nov 2, 2011, 4:25 PM EDT
We’re a little late to the party on this one (it’s fashionable, right?), but the New York Post wrote yesterday that the New Jersey Devils “might have” spoken to the Edmonton Oilers about acquiring 22-year-old center Sam Gagner.
Now, I’m not sure what “might have” means. Isn’t that kind of TMZish? Like, “Kim Kardashian might have been spotted at at the trendy New York lounge cuddled up next to…”
Anyway, here’s more from the Post:
It was said the Oilers would want young defensive prospects from New Jersey, probably defenseman Matt Taormina, whose No. 20 is now worn by Ryan Carter, and huge Alexander Urbom, both currently in Albany. It would seem they probably also would require a roster winger and draft pick.
Shopping Gagner does make a lot of sense for the Oilers. With Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Shawn Horcoff and Eric Belanger holding down the top three center spots, the sixth overall pick from the 2007 draft has been shifted to right wing on the third line. Not surprisingly, his minutes and production are down, though some of that could be due to an ankle injury he suffered in the preseason.
At any rate, Gagner isn’t the type of player that typically plays in the bottom six. He’s a skill guy, and an undersized one at that. Safe to say you can add his name to the list of trade candidates.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 12
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)