Nov 2, 2011, 4:25 PM EDT
We’re a little late to the party on this one (it’s fashionable, right?), but the New York Post wrote yesterday that the New Jersey Devils “might have” spoken to the Edmonton Oilers about acquiring 22-year-old center Sam Gagner.
Now, I’m not sure what “might have” means. Isn’t that kind of TMZish? Like, “Kim Kardashian might have been spotted at at the trendy New York lounge cuddled up next to…”
Anyway, here’s more from the Post:
It was said the Oilers would want young defensive prospects from New Jersey, probably defenseman Matt Taormina, whose No. 20 is now worn by Ryan Carter, and huge Alexander Urbom, both currently in Albany. It would seem they probably also would require a roster winger and draft pick.
Shopping Gagner does make a lot of sense for the Oilers. With Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Shawn Horcoff and Eric Belanger holding down the top three center spots, the sixth overall pick from the 2007 draft has been shifted to right wing on the third line. Not surprisingly, his minutes and production are down, though some of that could be due to an ankle injury he suffered in the preseason.
At any rate, Gagner isn’t the type of player that typically plays in the bottom six. He’s a skill guy, and an undersized one at that. Safe to say you can add his name to the list of trade candidates.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8