Nov 2, 2011, 4:25 PM EST
We’re a little late to the party on this one (it’s fashionable, right?), but the New York Post wrote yesterday that the New Jersey Devils “might have” spoken to the Edmonton Oilers about acquiring 22-year-old center Sam Gagner.
Now, I’m not sure what “might have” means. Isn’t that kind of TMZish? Like, “Kim Kardashian might have been spotted at at the trendy New York lounge cuddled up next to…”
Anyway, here’s more from the Post:
It was said the Oilers would want young defensive prospects from New Jersey, probably defenseman Matt Taormina, whose No. 20 is now worn by Ryan Carter, and huge Alexander Urbom, both currently in Albany. It would seem they probably also would require a roster winger and draft pick.
Shopping Gagner does make a lot of sense for the Oilers. With Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Shawn Horcoff and Eric Belanger holding down the top three center spots, the sixth overall pick from the 2007 draft has been shifted to right wing on the third line. Not surprisingly, his minutes and production are down, though some of that could be due to an ankle injury he suffered in the preseason.
At any rate, Gagner isn’t the type of player that typically plays in the bottom six. He’s a skill guy, and an undersized one at that. Safe to say you can add his name to the list of trade candidates.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54