Nov 2, 2011, 8:21 PM EDT
Some nights, you just get smoked.
The Philadelphia Flyers abused Ryan Miller in Game 7 of their first round series, but things were just as ugly for the all-world goalie tonight on Versus. After allowing three dispiriting goals on just 11 shots, Buffalo Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff mercifully pulled the plug on Miller’s night – much like what happened in that Game 7, only this time much sooner in the contest.
To be exact, the change happened just 6:23 into the first period, the second quickest outing of the great goalie’s career according to Liam McHugh. This contest will leave Miller with a single-night goals against average that would make Vesa Toskala blush, but the important thing to remember is that it’s just one bad night.
Things really haven’t been great for Miller since he notched a 22-save shutout against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 20. He’s on a three-game losing streak and can only hope for a non-decision if the Sabres can come back tonight. It’s unfair to say that he’s the sole reason that his team is in a 3-0 hole, but the bottom line is that some people will blame him anyway.
Even great goalies hit a rut, so the key is for Miller and the Sabres to bounce back. They can start doing just that in the second period tonight, although their franchise netminder will likely just be in a cheerleader role.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Flames sign Devin Setoguchi 3
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 12
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33