Nov 2, 2011, 9:28 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals are 8-2-0 and are undefeated in their first six home games this season. In any sane hockey universe, that bottom line would silence critics, but head coach Bruce Boudreau’s “message sending” ways are generating the kind of controversy that should be directed at the sleepwalking Boston Bruins.
“He’s cracking down,” defenseman Karl Alzner said. “I really like stuff like that. It sucks for the guy it happens to, but accountability makes you work that much harder and do the right things all the time.”
In the short term, Boudreau pissed off his superstar winger Alex Ovechkin with his decision to go with six different skaters in an empty net situation, leading armchair leap readers to decode the disgruntled Russian’s reactions. Few people are talking about the positive side of this move, which includes a rare moment in which the team’s golden boy hasn’t been coddled. (Matt Bradley would probably be proud if he wasn’t playing for another team.)
Publicly speaking, both are quite comfortable with the situation; Boudreau thinks it’s downright expected for his start to be angry about the benching while Ovechkin is at least saying all the right things.
The truth is that if this is a crisis, then the Capitals are in a great place. Boudreau’s gambits have been working out great so far, from Ovechkin’s “benching” to starting Michal Neuvirth in the season opener all the way down to smaller moves regarding Mike Knuble and Marcus Johansson.
For all the excessive criticism of the team’s playoff struggles, people are oddly hard on a coach who’s clearly planting the seeds for greater postseason success. Even Ovechkin might see that once the frustration subsides.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)