Nov 2, 2011, 12:14 PM EDT
The Hurricanes are hoping to keep it relevant early this season and losing guys to injury won’t help that. While they’ve got young hopeful Zac Dalpe slowly recovering, they’re going to lose Jussi Jokinen now for the next 3-4 weeks thanks to a leg injury.
Jokinen is one of their better penalty killers and shorthanded threat to score. He’s also one of their top six forwards on a team that’s trying to get consistent. Having to fall back on younger guys consistently the way the Hurricanes do gets in the way of all that while giving their youth a shot to prove their NHL worth.
Where this will really hurt is in scoring as Jokinen is second on the team in points to start the year. While Eric Staal is still trying to get himself going, Jeff Skinner has avoided the sophomore slump to lead the way. They need all their stars rolling to be winners and losing Jokinen will prove to be test enough for the ‘Canes.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)