Nov 2, 2011, 12:14 PM EDT
The Hurricanes are hoping to keep it relevant early this season and losing guys to injury won’t help that. While they’ve got young hopeful Zac Dalpe slowly recovering, they’re going to lose Jussi Jokinen now for the next 3-4 weeks thanks to a leg injury.
Jokinen is one of their better penalty killers and shorthanded threat to score. He’s also one of their top six forwards on a team that’s trying to get consistent. Having to fall back on younger guys consistently the way the Hurricanes do gets in the way of all that while giving their youth a shot to prove their NHL worth.
Where this will really hurt is in scoring as Jokinen is second on the team in points to start the year. While Eric Staal is still trying to get himself going, Jeff Skinner has avoided the sophomore slump to lead the way. They need all their stars rolling to be winners and losing Jokinen will prove to be test enough for the ‘Canes.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 20
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17