Nov 2, 2011, 12:14 PM EST
The Hurricanes are hoping to keep it relevant early this season and losing guys to injury won’t help that. While they’ve got young hopeful Zac Dalpe slowly recovering, they’re going to lose Jussi Jokinen now for the next 3-4 weeks thanks to a leg injury.
Jokinen is one of their better penalty killers and shorthanded threat to score. He’s also one of their top six forwards on a team that’s trying to get consistent. Having to fall back on younger guys consistently the way the Hurricanes do gets in the way of all that while giving their youth a shot to prove their NHL worth.
Where this will really hurt is in scoring as Jokinen is second on the team in points to start the year. While Eric Staal is still trying to get himself going, Jeff Skinner has avoided the sophomore slump to lead the way. They need all their stars rolling to be winners and losing Jokinen will prove to be test enough for the ‘Canes.
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 4
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 7
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 23
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 32
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 10
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2