Nov 2, 2011, 11:26 PM EDT
Obviously, the biggest story of the Toronto Maple Leafs’ early season success is the league leading production of Phil Kessel, who upped his total to 20 points tonight. Kessel isn’t the only oft-criticized “one dimensional” resurgent right-handed winger (catches breath) in Toronto, though. His frequent linemate (and hasty Halloween costume designer) Joffrey Lupul is on quite the tear in his own right.
Lupul scored a hat trick in Toronto’s 5-3 win against the New Jersey Devils to move his points total to 14, including eight tallies. He’s just four points away from tying the 18 he produced in the 29 games he played after being traded.
For a while, it seemed like Lupul’s hockey gravestone would read “Guy who kept being the consolation prize in trades.” That was especially true with Chris Pronger; Lupul was involved in two trades for the elbow-throwing All-Star defenseman: once in 2006 and then in 2009.
He’s never bested the 53 points he scored in his second season with his first team, the (then Mighty) Anaheim Ducks, but maybe some of that has to do with the perennial uproar Lupul dealt with? He’s played on four different teams and made two tours of duty with the Ducks in his eight NHL seasons.
The law of averages says that he won’t continue to shoot at 21.6 percent, much like Kessel won’t maintain his 23.8 rate. Still, it’s quite possible that both can maintain at least some of their momentum and help their team continue to “outscore their problems.”
Lupul might even find a semi-permanent home in Toronto in the process.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)