Nov 2, 2011, 2:06 PM EDT
Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith sat out practice today with a sore left hand and won’t play tomorrow in Florida.
Keith suffered the hand injury when blocking a shot midway through Monday’s 5-4 OT win over Nashville.
In the meantime, it’s going to be a big challenge for the Blackhawks to replace the 25 to 28 minutes Keith typically plays each night. What’s more, they’re not used to being without their best defenseman, who hasn’t missed a game since 2008-09.
“When you’re missing a player like Duncan, it’s always a tough loss,” winger Marian Hossa told the Chicago Sun-Times. “He won the Norris Trophy. He’s the top defenseman on our team. Somebody else is going to have to step up, and somebody else will get more minutes.”
The Blackhawks have another game Friday in Tampa Bay, so they could very well be without Keith for at least the next two games.
Maybe now Steve Montador will get to play more than 15 minutes a night. Only paying the guy $2.75 million a year.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)