Nov 2, 2011, 1:17 PM EDT
Injured Capitals defenseman Mike Green couldn’t make it through practice today.
CSNWashington.com reports that “Green took a few spins around the ice and apparently felt enough pain to pull himself off the ice.”
Green has missed three straight games with a sprained ankle. Yesterday he said all he needed was “one good practice” before he’d feel comfortable enough to return. Today’s probably doesn’t count then.
Washington plays Friday in Carolina and Saturday on Long Island, then comes home to play Dallas on Tuesday.
The Caps sure haven’t looked great in their own end without Green, surrendering 13 goals in the three games he’s missed. While he isn’t exactly known as a shut-down guy, that doesn’t mean he’s not important defensively.
“One thing that makes his defense really good is his ability to get the puck out of the zone,” Caps d-man Karl Alzner said earlier this week, as reported by NHL.com. “He’s not like a lot of us, me in particular — I know when I’m under pressure I normally just put it off the glass and out of the zone, or I rim it out. If he’s under pressure, he will hold onto it for an extra second and make a pass out of the zone.”
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 20
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 29
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 30
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)