Nov 2, 2011, 6:40 PM EDT
What do you get when you combine hockey and beer?
No, the answer is not “wasted.”
OK, yes, you do get wasted if you drink too many, but the answer I was looking for is…money!
The NHL and Molson Coors recently signed a massive sponsorship deal (reportedly worth $375 million) in Canada and the United States, making Coors Light the official beer of the NHL.
Perhaps you’ve seen the commercials:
According to CanadianBusiness.com, the plan is to push the Coors Light brand on “young men, a core market that has reduced its beer spending due to high unemployment, particularly in the United States.”
When asked about the partnership with the NHL, Molson Coors CEO Peter Swinburn said, “There’s a complete symmetry there in terms of brand messaging so it’s bang on line in terms of the brand proposition and communications.”
Which I think is corporate speak for, “It’s a good match for us.”
Anyway, I wonder if they’ll make Coors Light commercials using NHL coaches like they did with the NFL.
“Coach Tortorella! Are you saying Coors Light is the best beer in the world?”
“I guess that’s what I’m saying.”
“I dunno, coach, I think Budweiser is better.”
“Well then get the **** outta here.”
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35