Nov 2, 2011, 6:40 PM EDT
What do you get when you combine hockey and beer?
No, the answer is not “wasted.”
OK, yes, you do get wasted if you drink too many, but the answer I was looking for is…money!
The NHL and Molson Coors recently signed a massive sponsorship deal (reportedly worth $375 million) in Canada and the United States, making Coors Light the official beer of the NHL.
Perhaps you’ve seen the commercials:
According to CanadianBusiness.com, the plan is to push the Coors Light brand on “young men, a core market that has reduced its beer spending due to high unemployment, particularly in the United States.”
When asked about the partnership with the NHL, Molson Coors CEO Peter Swinburn said, “There’s a complete symmetry there in terms of brand messaging so it’s bang on line in terms of the brand proposition and communications.”
Which I think is corporate speak for, “It’s a good match for us.”
Anyway, I wonder if they’ll make Coors Light commercials using NHL coaches like they did with the NFL.
“Coach Tortorella! Are you saying Coors Light is the best beer in the world?”
“I guess that’s what I’m saying.”
“I dunno, coach, I think Budweiser is better.”
“Well then get the **** outta here.”
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50