Nov 2, 2011, 6:40 PM EST
What do you get when you combine hockey and beer?
No, the answer is not “wasted.”
OK, yes, you do get wasted if you drink too many, but the answer I was looking for is…money!
The NHL and Molson Coors recently signed a massive sponsorship deal (reportedly worth $375 million) in Canada and the United States, making Coors Light the official beer of the NHL.
Perhaps you’ve seen the commercials:
According to CanadianBusiness.com, the plan is to push the Coors Light brand on “young men, a core market that has reduced its beer spending due to high unemployment, particularly in the United States.”
When asked about the partnership with the NHL, Molson Coors CEO Peter Swinburn said, “There’s a complete symmetry there in terms of brand messaging so it’s bang on line in terms of the brand proposition and communications.”
Which I think is corporate speak for, “It’s a good match for us.”
Anyway, I wonder if they’ll make Coors Light commercials using NHL coaches like they did with the NFL.
“Coach Tortorella! Are you saying Coors Light is the best beer in the world?”
“I guess that’s what I’m saying.”
“I dunno, coach, I think Budweiser is better.”
“Well then get the **** outta here.”
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 15
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 42
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)