Nov 2, 2011, 6:40 PM EDT
What do you get when you combine hockey and beer?
No, the answer is not “wasted.”
OK, yes, you do get wasted if you drink too many, but the answer I was looking for is…money!
The NHL and Molson Coors recently signed a massive sponsorship deal (reportedly worth $375 million) in Canada and the United States, making Coors Light the official beer of the NHL.
Perhaps you’ve seen the commercials:
According to CanadianBusiness.com, the plan is to push the Coors Light brand on “young men, a core market that has reduced its beer spending due to high unemployment, particularly in the United States.”
When asked about the partnership with the NHL, Molson Coors CEO Peter Swinburn said, “There’s a complete symmetry there in terms of brand messaging so it’s bang on line in terms of the brand proposition and communications.”
Which I think is corporate speak for, “It’s a good match for us.”
Anyway, I wonder if they’ll make Coors Light commercials using NHL coaches like they did with the NFL.
“Coach Tortorella! Are you saying Coors Light is the best beer in the world?”
“I guess that’s what I’m saying.”
“I dunno, coach, I think Budweiser is better.”
“Well then get the **** outta here.”
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 0
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53