Nov 2, 2011, 6:40 PM EST
What do you get when you combine hockey and beer?
No, the answer is not “wasted.”
OK, yes, you do get wasted if you drink too many, but the answer I was looking for is…money!
The NHL and Molson Coors recently signed a massive sponsorship deal (reportedly worth $375 million) in Canada and the United States, making Coors Light the official beer of the NHL.
Perhaps you’ve seen the commercials:
According to CanadianBusiness.com, the plan is to push the Coors Light brand on “young men, a core market that has reduced its beer spending due to high unemployment, particularly in the United States.”
When asked about the partnership with the NHL, Molson Coors CEO Peter Swinburn said, “There’s a complete symmetry there in terms of brand messaging so it’s bang on line in terms of the brand proposition and communications.”
Which I think is corporate speak for, “It’s a good match for us.”
Anyway, I wonder if they’ll make Coors Light commercials using NHL coaches like they did with the NFL.
“Coach Tortorella! Are you saying Coors Light is the best beer in the world?”
“I guess that’s what I’m saying.”
“I dunno, coach, I think Budweiser is better.”
“Well then get the **** outta here.”
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 7
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 9
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 8
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)