Nov 2, 2011, 12:43 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers are heading out on a six-game road trip today and boy is Ryan Nugent-Hopkins excited he’s not riding the buses in junior anymore.
“The bus in Red Deer was a nice-looking bus, but it’s sometimes eight hours on the road and you have to play the next day,” Nugent-Hopkins told the Edmonton Journal.
The 18-year-old rookie is also pretty pumped with his daily expense allowance.
“I got $80 every two weeks when I played in (WHL) Red Deer,” he said. “I think per diem in the NHL is $98 a day. I don’t think I’ve touched much of that yet.”
Nugents-Hopkins will get sick of NHL road trips soon enough. Actually the novelty might have worn off completely in exactly 12 days, after the Oilers visit Los Angeles, Phoenix, Montreal, Boston, Detroit and Chicago.
Edmonton is 7-2-2 and a huge early surprise, but eight of its first 11 have been played at Rexall Arena.
“I honestly don’t know if I thought we’d have these results (in October), but I did know we’d have the effort, that there was some continuity from last season,” said coach Tom Renney. “There’s all sorts of ebbs and flows in a season, though, and there will be on this road trip. I’m sure of that.”
PS — Nugent-Hopkins is going to try and grow a mustache for “Movember”.
PPS — Be funny if he grows a really good one.
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 0
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 0
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 13
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10