Nov 2, 2011, 12:43 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers are heading out on a six-game road trip today and boy is Ryan Nugent-Hopkins excited he’s not riding the buses in junior anymore.
“The bus in Red Deer was a nice-looking bus, but it’s sometimes eight hours on the road and you have to play the next day,” Nugent-Hopkins told the Edmonton Journal.
The 18-year-old rookie is also pretty pumped with his daily expense allowance.
“I got $80 every two weeks when I played in (WHL) Red Deer,” he said. “I think per diem in the NHL is $98 a day. I don’t think I’ve touched much of that yet.”
Nugents-Hopkins will get sick of NHL road trips soon enough. Actually the novelty might have worn off completely in exactly 12 days, after the Oilers visit Los Angeles, Phoenix, Montreal, Boston, Detroit and Chicago.
Edmonton is 7-2-2 and a huge early surprise, but eight of its first 11 have been played at Rexall Arena.
“I honestly don’t know if I thought we’d have these results (in October), but I did know we’d have the effort, that there was some continuity from last season,” said coach Tom Renney. “There’s all sorts of ebbs and flows in a season, though, and there will be on this road trip. I’m sure of that.”
PS — Nugent-Hopkins is going to try and grow a mustache for “Movember”.
PPS — Be funny if he grows a really good one.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 92
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (92)