Nov 2, 2011, 12:43 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers are heading out on a six-game road trip today and boy is Ryan Nugent-Hopkins excited he’s not riding the buses in junior anymore.
“The bus in Red Deer was a nice-looking bus, but it’s sometimes eight hours on the road and you have to play the next day,” Nugent-Hopkins told the Edmonton Journal.
The 18-year-old rookie is also pretty pumped with his daily expense allowance.
“I got $80 every two weeks when I played in (WHL) Red Deer,” he said. “I think per diem in the NHL is $98 a day. I don’t think I’ve touched much of that yet.”
Nugents-Hopkins will get sick of NHL road trips soon enough. Actually the novelty might have worn off completely in exactly 12 days, after the Oilers visit Los Angeles, Phoenix, Montreal, Boston, Detroit and Chicago.
Edmonton is 7-2-2 and a huge early surprise, but eight of its first 11 have been played at Rexall Arena.
“I honestly don’t know if I thought we’d have these results (in October), but I did know we’d have the effort, that there was some continuity from last season,” said coach Tom Renney. “There’s all sorts of ebbs and flows in a season, though, and there will be on this road trip. I’m sure of that.”
PS — Nugent-Hopkins is going to try and grow a mustache for “Movember”.
PPS — Be funny if he grows a really good one.
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 26
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 88
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 43
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 73
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63