Nov 2, 2011, 11:40 PM EDT
Before that young whipper snapper* Tim Thomas came along and started making about 100 unorthodox highlight reel saves per year, Martin Brodeur ranked as one of the great goalie outcasts. In a field of vanilla butterfly guys (OK, Patrick Roy was too nutty to be vanilla, but work with me here … ), Brodeur did things his own way.
Sure, he isn’t an impressionistic painting in goalie pads like Dominik Hasek was, but Brodeur’s style still ranks as decidedly different. Maybe he lost about 10 mph on his fastball during the last few seasons, but the video above shows that he can still make us drop our jaws.
It didn’t win the Devils the game and Phil Kessel still pumped up his points totals with two assists, but that clip should at least give the world some hope that Marty isn’t done just yet.
* Wait, Thomas is only two years younger than Brodeur? (Mind explodes.)
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 15
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 19
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)