Nov 2, 2011, 11:40 PM EDT
Before that young whipper snapper* Tim Thomas came along and started making about 100 unorthodox highlight reel saves per year, Martin Brodeur ranked as one of the great goalie outcasts. In a field of vanilla butterfly guys (OK, Patrick Roy was too nutty to be vanilla, but work with me here … ), Brodeur did things his own way.
Sure, he isn’t an impressionistic painting in goalie pads like Dominik Hasek was, but Brodeur’s style still ranks as decidedly different. Maybe he lost about 10 mph on his fastball during the last few seasons, but the video above shows that he can still make us drop our jaws.
It didn’t win the Devils the game and Phil Kessel still pumped up his points totals with two assists, but that clip should at least give the world some hope that Marty isn’t done just yet.
* Wait, Thomas is only two years younger than Brodeur? (Mind explodes.)
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)