Nov 2, 2011, 11:40 PM EDT
Before that young whipper snapper* Tim Thomas came along and started making about 100 unorthodox highlight reel saves per year, Martin Brodeur ranked as one of the great goalie outcasts. In a field of vanilla butterfly guys (OK, Patrick Roy was too nutty to be vanilla, but work with me here … ), Brodeur did things his own way.
Sure, he isn’t an impressionistic painting in goalie pads like Dominik Hasek was, but Brodeur’s style still ranks as decidedly different. Maybe he lost about 10 mph on his fastball during the last few seasons, but the video above shows that he can still make us drop our jaws.
It didn’t win the Devils the game and Phil Kessel still pumped up his points totals with two assists, but that clip should at least give the world some hope that Marty isn’t done just yet.
* Wait, Thomas is only two years younger than Brodeur? (Mind explodes.)
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 3
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 20
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 81
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 79
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 17
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 16
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (86)
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)