Nov 2, 2011, 11:40 PM EDT
Before that young whipper snapper* Tim Thomas came along and started making about 100 unorthodox highlight reel saves per year, Martin Brodeur ranked as one of the great goalie outcasts. In a field of vanilla butterfly guys (OK, Patrick Roy was too nutty to be vanilla, but work with me here … ), Brodeur did things his own way.
Sure, he isn’t an impressionistic painting in goalie pads like Dominik Hasek was, but Brodeur’s style still ranks as decidedly different. Maybe he lost about 10 mph on his fastball during the last few seasons, but the video above shows that he can still make us drop our jaws.
It didn’t win the Devils the game and Phil Kessel still pumped up his points totals with two assists, but that clip should at least give the world some hope that Marty isn’t done just yet.
* Wait, Thomas is only two years younger than Brodeur? (Mind explodes.)
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)