Nov 2, 2011, 10:10 PM EDT
(Note: Things get especially interesting around the 5:15 mark of this video.)
Make no mistake about it, there are some players who are confused about the new disciplinary measures being instituted by Brendan Shanahan. That group includes Mike Fisher, who was baffled by the decision not to suspend Francois Beauchemin, the guy who injured him with an open-ice hit.
Give Shanahan credit for attempting to be transparent, but the video highlights a slight concern (beyond the improper pronunciation of Wojtek Wolski – apparently it’s VOY-tek VOL-skee). My worry is that there’s an excessive dependence on reputation, which at times almost borders on amateur mind reading.
Shanny draws from his experience playing against Chris Neil along with Wolski’s lack of a history as a dirty hitter as part partial explanations for why they didn’t face suspensions. There’s definitely some sound logic behind that, but it hints at dangerous assumptions – and to conspiracy theorists, maybe even cronyism.
Ultimately, the NHL is going in the right direction and it should probably be expected that there will be some growing pains. How are you feeling about the changes so far?
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 15
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 31
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 44
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 28
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)