Nov 1, 2011, 5:37 PM EDT
For the explanation, here’s NHL Senior VP of Player Safety and Hockey Operations, Brendan Shanahan.
Some dramatic effect there from Shanny. “Sutton takes an improper route to Landeskog and does not deliver a full body check. Instead…he picks Landeskog’s head.”
This is not the first time Sutton has delivered a questionable hit, nor was it the first time he’s been suspended.
There was this hit on Pittsburgh’s Pascal Dupuis (which earned Sutton a two-game suspension):
There was also this hit against Pittsburgh’s Jordan Leopold (which probably would earn him a suspension today):
You could essentially spend the entire afternoon looking at devastating Andy Sutton hits on YouTube. There are that many. In this light, it’s highly unlikely Sutton or anybody from the Oilers organization is going to complain about the five-game sentence, even if it does leave Edmonton scrambling for defensemen. Sutton joins Cam Barker (shoulder) and Ryan Whitney (knee) on the list of Oilers blueliners currently unavailable.
As for the particulars: Sutton already served one game of the suspension, so he’ll miss Edmonton’s next four games (L.A., Phoenix, Montreal, Boston.) He’ll also forfeit $57,432.45 of salary, which will go to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 93
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5