Nov 1, 2011, 12:26 PM EDT
The long shot that Sean Avery would be claimed on re-entry waivers proved to be just that, a long shot. Avery cleared waivers and will be set to rejoin the New York Rangers on Thursday night. Avery’s travels this season have been tumultuous already after being cut by New York during training camp and sent to their farm team in Connecticut of the AHL.
After struggling to start the season, the Rangers sought to change things around and opted to bring Avery back into the fold as coach John Tortorella sought a spark. After the Rangers’ 5-2 win over San Jose last night, however, perhaps the spark the Rangers needed was just the threat of Avery rejoining them soon.
Avery when he’s at his best is one of the better tenacious forecheckers in the league and has a defined penchant for driving opponents crazy and making them take dumb penalties. At his worst, Avery does the same to the Rangers taking bad penalties and proving to be a bigger distraction than a help to the team.
Which Avery do the Rangers get upon his humbling return from the AHL? Anything less than the guy who helps the Rangers out will see him stapled to a seat in the press box or potentially sent back to Connecticut. Expect Avery at his irritating best against Anaheim on Thursday or whenever John Tortorella sees fit to play him.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 0
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 42
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 43
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 53
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal