Nov 1, 2011, 12:26 PM EDT
The long shot that Sean Avery would be claimed on re-entry waivers proved to be just that, a long shot. Avery cleared waivers and will be set to rejoin the New York Rangers on Thursday night. Avery’s travels this season have been tumultuous already after being cut by New York during training camp and sent to their farm team in Connecticut of the AHL.
After struggling to start the season, the Rangers sought to change things around and opted to bring Avery back into the fold as coach John Tortorella sought a spark. After the Rangers’ 5-2 win over San Jose last night, however, perhaps the spark the Rangers needed was just the threat of Avery rejoining them soon.
Avery when he’s at his best is one of the better tenacious forecheckers in the league and has a defined penchant for driving opponents crazy and making them take dumb penalties. At his worst, Avery does the same to the Rangers taking bad penalties and proving to be a bigger distraction than a help to the team.
Which Avery do the Rangers get upon his humbling return from the AHL? Anything less than the guy who helps the Rangers out will see him stapled to a seat in the press box or potentially sent back to Connecticut. Expect Avery at his irritating best against Anaheim on Thursday or whenever John Tortorella sees fit to play him.
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 21
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day on PHT 11