Nov 1, 2011, 9:48 PM EDT
Just imagine if the Blackhawks power play knew how to find the net. As of today, they’re sitting on top of the Western Conference standings due in large part to the best offense in the West. They’re keeping the puck out of their own net and their penalty kill is among the best in the league. Yet still, the weak power play keeps people wondering: how good can this team be?
The numbers on the power play have been ugly. The Hawks have only scored four power play goals after a month (in 45 chances). It’s shocking considering names like Hossa, Kane, Toews, Sharp, and Keith spend time on the man-advantage. That doesn’t sound like a power play that would struggle. But the fact remains that they haven’t scored a power play goal since October 22.
The players don’t sound too worried. It’s one thing to be unproductive, but it’s another thing to be ineffective. The Hawks think they’re getting their chances. Patrick Kane said, “We’re doing everything except putting it in the net.” Marian Hossa said they aren’t frustrated because they’re doing a lot of good things. So that’s the good news: they’re moving the puck around and creating prime scoring chances.
Still, it comes back to productivity. A team with the as much talent as the Blackhawks shouldn’t be rocking the 29th ranked power play in the league. Head coach Joel Quenneville understands that it’s nice to create chances, but at some point they need to start putting the puck in the net. “We’re generating but we need production,” Quenneville said. “That’s what we measure and that’s what we’re looking to attain.”
Let’s get this straight: this is a team that thinks they aren’t producing the way they think they should. If they figure it out any time soon, the people at United Center might need another copy of Chelsea Dagger. The other one might be worn out before the season’s over.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PHT: Blackhawks rattle Rask in Game 4
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT Extra: Will the Spurs recover for Game 7?
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- HBT: Hamilton dropped to 7th in Angels lineup