Nov 1, 2011, 11:29 AM EDT
Chances are if you asked a Flyers fan their opinion on Scott Hartnell before the season started or even a few games into the season, you’d get hissed at or a roaring diatribe about how they wanted him sent out of town.
After landing on a line with Jaromir Jagr and Claude Giroux, all of a sudden Hartnell is looking like a key cog to the Flyers’ success. Hartnell had four goals and nine points in the five games he’s played on a line with those two and life is looking good for the left wing. CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio gets the word from Hartnell about finding new life.
“Yeah, I had a tough training camp,” Hartnell said. “I didn’t really feel good. My body didn’t feel good … mentally, you start gripping the stick tighter. It’s amazing what one game does.
“Coach put some confidence in you and starts playing you more, you have to take advantage of that opportunity. I did playing with these guys and it’s exciting.”
After Hartnell had spent the last past two seasons playing on a line with Daniel Briere and Ville Leino, finding a new home for him has proven to be difficult. Now, it’s life on easy street. Playing with a breakout star in Giroux and a future Hall Of Famer in Jagr helps make the transition a lot easier and for the Flyers, anything to help them win games while Briere deals with an injury and Ilya Bryzgalov is settling in is a good thing.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)