Nov 1, 2011, 7:00 AM EDT
After surveying a wide array of hockey players’ Halloween costumes now that the holiday is over, the general rule is that there’s a converse relationship between the quality of a player and his costume. In other words, superstars mostly deliver confounding duds while bit players roll out some brilliant stuff.
Illogical efforts from stars
From what I can gather, Malkin is some sort of pimp while Crosby is a “gladiator.” OK then.
Moving on, you can follow this link to Mike Modano’s weird joke of a costume. It’s likely that he didn’t actually wear that in front of anyone but Willa Ford, though.
Ryan Kesler posted a photo of a Sylvester the Cat mask, which obviously implied that was his costume of choice. Derek Roy apparently dressed up as “The Ultimate Warrior,” but hopefully his interviews are a bit more coherent.
Marginal players show more creativity
Perhaps getting more time on the bench (or worse, as healthy scratches) allows lesser players to come up with more creative costumes. First take a look at Paul Bissonnette as a tattooed, trimmer and less crazy-eyed version of “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan. (Hate to say it, but the pudgy physique was kind of a big part of the Duggan repertoire. Oh well.)
Some Maple Leafs costumes
The Toronto Maple Leafs are either beginning a special season or flashes in the pan right now. Joffrey Lupul put up photos that seem a little haphazard, so if the theme of “bad costumes = good players” is true, then the Buds might make the playoffs.
An elaborate costume for “The Wizard”
Of course, at some point you have to settle somewhere in between. Ray Whitney‘s been a good player for a long time, but never really considered a star. Maybe it makes sense then that his costume is really elaborate, but there’s something about it that just falls a step behind great. (Maybe doing the “couples costume” is what loses a few points in my mind … )
Anyway, let’s finish things off with Whitney and his wife as “Toy Soldiers.”
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push Hawks to edge of elimination 0
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)