Nov 1, 2011, 7:00 AM EDT
After surveying a wide array of hockey players’ Halloween costumes now that the holiday is over, the general rule is that there’s a converse relationship between the quality of a player and his costume. In other words, superstars mostly deliver confounding duds while bit players roll out some brilliant stuff.
Illogical efforts from stars
From what I can gather, Malkin is some sort of pimp while Crosby is a “gladiator.” OK then.
Moving on, you can follow this link to Mike Modano’s weird joke of a costume. It’s likely that he didn’t actually wear that in front of anyone but Willa Ford, though.
Ryan Kesler posted a photo of a Sylvester the Cat mask, which obviously implied that was his costume of choice. Derek Roy apparently dressed up as “The Ultimate Warrior,” but hopefully his interviews are a bit more coherent.
Marginal players show more creativity
Perhaps getting more time on the bench (or worse, as healthy scratches) allows lesser players to come up with more creative costumes. First take a look at Paul Bissonnette as a tattooed, trimmer and less crazy-eyed version of “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan. (Hate to say it, but the pudgy physique was kind of a big part of the Duggan repertoire. Oh well.)
Some Maple Leafs costumes
The Toronto Maple Leafs are either beginning a special season or flashes in the pan right now. Joffrey Lupul put up photos that seem a little haphazard, so if the theme of “bad costumes = good players” is true, then the Buds might make the playoffs.
An elaborate costume for “The Wizard”
Of course, at some point you have to settle somewhere in between. Ray Whitney‘s been a good player for a long time, but never really considered a star. Maybe it makes sense then that his costume is really elaborate, but there’s something about it that just falls a step behind great. (Maybe doing the “couples costume” is what loses a few points in my mind … )
Anyway, let’s finish things off with Whitney and his wife as “Toy Soldiers.”
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 18
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 25
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 27
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 13
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 83
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 26
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 58
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 89
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (89)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm