Nov 1, 2011, 8:47 AM EDT
The latest realignment proposal that’s been making waves across the league doesn’t exactly have everyone feeling giddy about things. Two teams in particular seem to be highly opposed to it because it’s going to make their rivalry almost fade away.
The Flyers and Penguins are both opposed to the latest proposal because it would see the number of meetings these intrastate rivals reduced to just four games a year. That’s something Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, at the very least, is very much against as he told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Dave Molinari.
“There’s such a good [intra-state] rivalry with Philly,” he said. “We need to play each other. We need to keep the battle hot.”
The Penguins are the main team speaking up against this and for them, the new proposal sees them lose the Flyers as a divisional foe and gain Boston, Montreal, Buffalo, Toronto, Ottawa, and Detroit or Columbus. Losing the Rangers, Islanders, Devils, and Flyers makes for a drastic change and one that the Penguins aren’t all that thrilled about.
Although Penguins CEO David Morehouse declined a request to discuss realignment, a team executive, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed that the franchise has informed the league of its opposition to a plan that would place it and the Flyers in different divisions.
They might be rivals on the ice, but seeing the Penguins and Flyers (to a lesser degree) stick together on this issue it proves that keeping your friends close and your enemies closer even has a place in hockey.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)