Nov 1, 2011, 12:17 AM EDT
As usual, the Nashville Predators gave them a great fight, but the Chicago Blackhawks managed a 5-4 overtime win thanks to great work by Patrick Kane (two goals, one assist) and a nice game-winner by Viktor Stalberg. (See the bottom of this post for that overtime clincher.)
That victory didn’t come without its drawbacks, though. Duncan Keith is day-to-day with an “upper body injury,” according to Chris Kuc. Judging from the replays I’ve seen, it looked like he probably suffered a hand injury from a blocked shot.
Keith might not be the hardest hitting defenseman in the NHL, but he’s among the most durable. He only missed six games in his first six seasons in the league, with five of those coming in 2008-09. Keith most famously played during the 2010 playoffs after losing some teeth from a high stick, earning the wonderful nickname “Duncan Teeth.”
Naturally, it’s not always about toughness, though. If Keith is better off resting it and coming back closer to 100 percent, then that should be the way to go. It would still be surprising to see him to miss much time, but we’ll be on the lookout for updates.
In the mean time, Blackhawks fans can console themselves with this clip of the Stalberg goal.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)