Nov 1, 2011, 12:17 AM EST
As usual, the Nashville Predators gave them a great fight, but the Chicago Blackhawks managed a 5-4 overtime win thanks to great work by Patrick Kane (two goals, one assist) and a nice game-winner by Viktor Stalberg. (See the bottom of this post for that overtime clincher.)
That victory didn’t come without its drawbacks, though. Duncan Keith is day-to-day with an “upper body injury,” according to Chris Kuc. Judging from the replays I’ve seen, it looked like he probably suffered a hand injury from a blocked shot.
Keith might not be the hardest hitting defenseman in the NHL, but he’s among the most durable. He only missed six games in his first six seasons in the league, with five of those coming in 2008-09. Keith most famously played during the 2010 playoffs after losing some teeth from a high stick, earning the wonderful nickname “Duncan Teeth.”
Naturally, it’s not always about toughness, though. If Keith is better off resting it and coming back closer to 100 percent, then that should be the way to go. It would still be surprising to see him to miss much time, but we’ll be on the lookout for updates.
In the mean time, Blackhawks fans can console themselves with this clip of the Stalberg goal.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)