Nov 1, 2011, 11:00 PM EDT
After falling behind 3-0, the Washington Capitals stormed back for a thrilling 5-4 win in the nation’s capital. Things didn’t start out well for the Caps as Selanne set up a Saku Koivu for the first goal, then scored a pair of his own to help the Ducks jump out to their big lead. But some shaky defense and equally shaky goaltending proved that no lead was insurmountable on Tuesday night.
Despite Selanne scoring his fourth point of the night, Nicklas Backstrom was able to cash in the game-tying goal with only 42 seconds left in the game. As if that wasn’t enough, Backstrom topped the last minute goal with the OT game-winner halfway through the 4-on-4 overtime period. All’s well that ends well for Caps fans, right?
For most of the night, it looked like the story of game would be Teemu Selanne drinking gallons from the fountain of youth. The struggling Ducks needed a good start in Washington—and the strong first period was just what the doctor ordered. Or so we thought.
The Ducks are going to wonder what happened as they continue their brutal 7-game road trip. They jumped out to a big lead and only sloppy play allowed the Caps back in the game. The loss drops them to 1-5-1 in their last 7; a far cry from the team that was coming off a 4-game winning streak.
One of the big stories after the game may not be the guys who contributed to the game-tying goal at the end of the game, but the guy who was not on the ice. When the Caps desperately needed a goal to tie the game, they pulled their goaltender for an extra skater. Even with six guys on the ice to create offense, Caps head coach Bruce Boudreau didn’t have Alex Ovechkin on the ice.
When OT started, again Ovechkin was not on the ice to start the extra frame causing even more questions to be asked. But that game-winning goal? It was Ovechkin who kicked the puck over to his teammate. So it wasn’t all bad for the Russian sniper.
Fans should be happy with the late, comeback win. But what’s up with their captain and the head coach?
Mar 11, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames were already missing several forwards.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT
Nothing’s official, but it sounds like he’ll stick with the Buffalo Sabres after all.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT
Washington desperately needs the two points.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:26 AM EDT
It was mostly a night of disappointments
Mar 11, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
“We need to be men.”
Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
It just keeps getting worse.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:29 AM EDT
It’s an MCL injury, according to Patrick Roy.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
It’s also his first point since Jan. 10.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
At least they have Ales Hemsky.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
The Stars say he’ll undergo extensive testing.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Washington carried much of the play.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Both teams have games on Tuesday.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Lindy Ruff says he’s OK.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He was last seen at practice in Saginaw, Mich.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon slides into his center spot vs. Winnipeg.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 2
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)