Nov 1, 2011, 11:00 PM EDT
After falling behind 3-0, the Washington Capitals stormed back for a thrilling 5-4 win in the nation’s capital. Things didn’t start out well for the Caps as Selanne set up a Saku Koivu for the first goal, then scored a pair of his own to help the Ducks jump out to their big lead. But some shaky defense and equally shaky goaltending proved that no lead was insurmountable on Tuesday night.
Despite Selanne scoring his fourth point of the night, Nicklas Backstrom was able to cash in the game-tying goal with only 42 seconds left in the game. As if that wasn’t enough, Backstrom topped the last minute goal with the OT game-winner halfway through the 4-on-4 overtime period. All’s well that ends well for Caps fans, right?
For most of the night, it looked like the story of game would be Teemu Selanne drinking gallons from the fountain of youth. The struggling Ducks needed a good start in Washington—and the strong first period was just what the doctor ordered. Or so we thought.
The Ducks are going to wonder what happened as they continue their brutal 7-game road trip. They jumped out to a big lead and only sloppy play allowed the Caps back in the game. The loss drops them to 1-5-1 in their last 7; a far cry from the team that was coming off a 4-game winning streak.
One of the big stories after the game may not be the guys who contributed to the game-tying goal at the end of the game, but the guy who was not on the ice. When the Caps desperately needed a goal to tie the game, they pulled their goaltender for an extra skater. Even with six guys on the ice to create offense, Caps head coach Bruce Boudreau didn’t have Alex Ovechkin on the ice.
When OT started, again Ovechkin was not on the ice to start the extra frame causing even more questions to be asked. But that game-winning goal? It was Ovechkin who kicked the puck over to his teammate. So it wasn’t all bad for the Russian sniper.
Fans should be happy with the late, comeback win. But what’s up with their captain and the head coach?
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 10
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)