Nov 1, 2011, 1:16 PM EDT
Here’s something you’ve never heard before: The Detroit Red Wings will be starting a hot shot Swedish prospect tonight against Minnesota.
Nyquist was a Hobey Baker Award finalist while playing at the University of Maine last year and after just a handful of games in the AHL, he’s getting his shot to steal a spot in the Wings’ lineup.
With Jiri Hudler playing like a guy who spent a year away from the NHL in Russia and the Red Wings in the midst of a four-game losing streak that’s seen their offense evaporate, Nyquist is getting the chance to prove he belongs. For a kid that’s just 22 years old, getting to crack the Red Wings lineup and play on a line with Franzen and Todd Bertuzzi gives him the chance to be the set-up man and designated speed demon.
For the Wings, it’s just another sign that their reliance on players out of Sweden is no joke and that if opponents would like to better talk trash, they’d best be bilingual.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 18
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)