Nov 1, 2011, 1:16 PM EST
Here’s something you’ve never heard before: The Detroit Red Wings will be starting a hot shot Swedish prospect tonight against Minnesota.
Nyquist was a Hobey Baker Award finalist while playing at the University of Maine last year and after just a handful of games in the AHL, he’s getting his shot to steal a spot in the Wings’ lineup.
With Jiri Hudler playing like a guy who spent a year away from the NHL in Russia and the Red Wings in the midst of a four-game losing streak that’s seen their offense evaporate, Nyquist is getting the chance to prove he belongs. For a kid that’s just 22 years old, getting to crack the Red Wings lineup and play on a line with Franzen and Todd Bertuzzi gives him the chance to be the set-up man and designated speed demon.
For the Wings, it’s just another sign that their reliance on players out of Sweden is no joke and that if opponents would like to better talk trash, they’d best be bilingual.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 10
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 39
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)