Nov 1, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT
Tennis great Andre Agassi dressed up as Mr. T for Halloween…and he didn’t skimp on the skin color.
Australian tennis coach Darren Cahill posted the picture of Agassi and Cahill’s wife (dressed up as a white woman) on Twitter earlier today. The picture quickly ended up on Deadspin, which made the obvious connection to Phoenix Coyotes forward Raffi Torris, who you’ll recall sported a similar look a couple of days ago.
Anyway, I did a Google search to see what the internet was saying about the picture, but all I could find was this story about Agassi’s foundation raising $26.1 million for the Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy, a school that “works to provide underserved children in Las Vegas with a first-class K-12 education to prepare them for excellence in college and beyond.”
Here’s a picture of Agassi with one of the school’s graduates:
Here are some other students:
This appears to be a teacher:
Of course, Agassi doesn’t get a free pass just because he helps black kids get an education. If you think what Torres did was wrong, what Agassi did has to be wrong as well. But it sure makes it hard to call Agassi insensitive to blacks.
Sometimes I wish every issue was black and white. (That wasn’t racist, was it?)
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22