Nov 1, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT
Tennis great Andre Agassi dressed up as Mr. T for Halloween…and he didn’t skimp on the skin color.
Australian tennis coach Darren Cahill posted the picture of Agassi and Cahill’s wife (dressed up as a white woman) on Twitter earlier today. The picture quickly ended up on Deadspin, which made the obvious connection to Phoenix Coyotes forward Raffi Torris, who you’ll recall sported a similar look a couple of days ago.
Anyway, I did a Google search to see what the internet was saying about the picture, but all I could find was this story about Agassi’s foundation raising $26.1 million for the Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy, a school that “works to provide underserved children in Las Vegas with a first-class K-12 education to prepare them for excellence in college and beyond.”
Here’s a picture of Agassi with one of the school’s graduates:
Here are some other students:
This appears to be a teacher:
Of course, Agassi doesn’t get a free pass just because he helps black kids get an education. If you think what Torres did was wrong, what Agassi did has to be wrong as well. But it sure makes it hard to call Agassi insensitive to blacks.
Sometimes I wish every issue was black and white. (That wasn’t racist, was it?)
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)