Nov 1, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT
Tennis great Andre Agassi dressed up as Mr. T for Halloween…and he didn’t skimp on the skin color.
Australian tennis coach Darren Cahill posted the picture of Agassi and Cahill’s wife (dressed up as a white woman) on Twitter earlier today. The picture quickly ended up on Deadspin, which made the obvious connection to Phoenix Coyotes forward Raffi Torris, who you’ll recall sported a similar look a couple of days ago.
Anyway, I did a Google search to see what the internet was saying about the picture, but all I could find was this story about Agassi’s foundation raising $26.1 million for the Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy, a school that “works to provide underserved children in Las Vegas with a first-class K-12 education to prepare them for excellence in college and beyond.”
Here’s a picture of Agassi with one of the school’s graduates:
Here are some other students:
This appears to be a teacher:
Of course, Agassi doesn’t get a free pass just because he helps black kids get an education. If you think what Torres did was wrong, what Agassi did has to be wrong as well. But it sure makes it hard to call Agassi insensitive to blacks.
Sometimes I wish every issue was black and white. (That wasn’t racist, was it?)
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)