Oct 31, 2011, 6:50 PM EST
New York Rangers coach John Tortorella met with the media today to discuss the pending return of Sean Avery. According to Torts, the knee injury to big forward Mike Rupp was the driving factor in the decision to bring the controversial forward back up from the AHL.
“Rupper has a lot to do with this. We’re concerned about that,” Tortorella said, as reported by NHL.com. “This is the right decision. It’s the right hockey decision now and it was the right hockey decision when we sent Sean down. That’s where it’s at.”
When Avery was cut and sent down to the Connecticut Whale following Rangers training camp, the explanation from Tortorella was a blunt one: “I think we have better players than Sean Avery — plain and simple.”
Apparently that’s not the case anymore. With Rupp out indefinitely and Dale Weise (waived) in Vancouver now, Avery is the next best option to play the energy role the lacklustre Rangers need.
“Sean’s biggest strength are his legs. He’s a terrific skater,” Tortorella said. “A big part of his game is his forechecking and his play underneath the hashmarks. We want him to play to his strengths and also work on the other parts of the game away from the puck.”
Tortorella didn’t say it, but there’s probably another thing he wants out of Avery: Not to be a self-absorbed clown.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 1
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 3
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 30
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 44
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (44)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)