Oct 31, 2011, 2:11 PM EDT
The saga continues.
Just a short while after learning Flyers G Ilya Bryzgalov would only talk to the media following games in which he’s played, the Philadelphia chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association has filed a complaint, according to Sam Carchidi of Philly.com. Carchidi also notes the Flyers could be fined for not giving reporters proper player access.
[In addition, Carchidi points out Bryz’s original gag order has been amended: He will talk to the media, except the day before a game and the day of a game.]
This isn’t the first time things have gotten contentious between the Flyers and the Philly media. There was the Mike Richards vs. Philly media thing, the Dry Island thing and the Dan-Carcillo-saying-the-Philly-media-is-ridiculous thing. Come to think of it, you could say the relationship is mostly contentious with occasional moments of normalcy.
Silencing Bryzgalov, though, is a whole new level of contentiousness. The Flyers might think a gag order will quiet the storm, but the Flyers would be wrong. See, what reporters can do now is ask Bryzgalov’s teammates what they think about the silence (they’d ask Bryzgalov about it, but he’s not allowed to talk) — creating this really awkward scenario where a bunch of guys are forced to speak on behalf of the one guy that’s not allowed to speak for himself. Should make for a really harmonious dressing room.
There’s also that not-so-tiny issue of Philly shutting down its best quote machine while the HBO cameras are rolling, something CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio noted:
To end things, here’s Bryzgalov’s infamous post-game interview following last week’s 9-8 loss to Winnipeg.
May as well enjoy it. There might not be many more coming our way.
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 0
- Kronwalled: Red Wings D levels Lightning’s Kucherov 16
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)