Oct 31, 2011, 2:11 PM EST
The saga continues.
Just a short while after learning Flyers G Ilya Bryzgalov would only talk to the media following games in which he’s played, the Philadelphia chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association has filed a complaint, according to Sam Carchidi of Philly.com. Carchidi also notes the Flyers could be fined for not giving reporters proper player access.
[In addition, Carchidi points out Bryz’s original gag order has been amended: He will talk to the media, except the day before a game and the day of a game.]
This isn’t the first time things have gotten contentious between the Flyers and the Philly media. There was the Mike Richards vs. Philly media thing, the Dry Island thing and the Dan-Carcillo-saying-the-Philly-media-is-ridiculous thing. Come to think of it, you could say the relationship is mostly contentious with occasional moments of normalcy.
Silencing Bryzgalov, though, is a whole new level of contentiousness. The Flyers might think a gag order will quiet the storm, but the Flyers would be wrong. See, what reporters can do now is ask Bryzgalov’s teammates what they think about the silence (they’d ask Bryzgalov about it, but he’s not allowed to talk) — creating this really awkward scenario where a bunch of guys are forced to speak on behalf of the one guy that’s not allowed to speak for himself. Should make for a really harmonious dressing room.
There’s also that not-so-tiny issue of Philly shutting down its best quote machine while the HBO cameras are rolling, something CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio noted:
To end things, here’s Bryzgalov’s infamous post-game interview following last week’s 9-8 loss to Winnipeg.
May as well enjoy it. There might not be many more coming our way.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)