Oct 31, 2011, 2:11 PM EST
The saga continues.
Just a short while after learning Flyers G Ilya Bryzgalov would only talk to the media following games in which he’s played, the Philadelphia chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association has filed a complaint, according to Sam Carchidi of Philly.com. Carchidi also notes the Flyers could be fined for not giving reporters proper player access.
[In addition, Carchidi points out Bryz's original gag order has been amended: He will talk to the media, except the day before a game and the day of a game.]
This isn’t the first time things have gotten contentious between the Flyers and the Philly media. There was the Mike Richards vs. Philly media thing, the Dry Island thing and the Dan-Carcillo-saying-the-Philly-media-is-ridiculous thing. Come to think of it, you could say the relationship is mostly contentious with occasional moments of normalcy.
Silencing Bryzgalov, though, is a whole new level of contentiousness. The Flyers might think a gag order will quiet the storm, but the Flyers would be wrong. See, what reporters can do now is ask Bryzgalov’s teammates what they think about the silence (they’d ask Bryzgalov about it, but he’s not allowed to talk) — creating this really awkward scenario where a bunch of guys are forced to speak on behalf of the one guy that’s not allowed to speak for himself. Should make for a really harmonious dressing room.
There’s also that not-so-tiny issue of Philly shutting down its best quote machine while the HBO cameras are rolling, something CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio noted:
To end things, here’s Bryzgalov’s infamous post-game interview following last week’s 9-8 loss to Winnipeg.
May as well enjoy it. There might not be many more coming our way.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)