Oct 31, 2011, 2:11 PM EDT
The saga continues.
Just a short while after learning Flyers G Ilya Bryzgalov would only talk to the media following games in which he’s played, the Philadelphia chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association has filed a complaint, according to Sam Carchidi of Philly.com. Carchidi also notes the Flyers could be fined for not giving reporters proper player access.
[In addition, Carchidi points out Bryz's original gag order has been amended: He will talk to the media, except the day before a game and the day of a game.]
This isn’t the first time things have gotten contentious between the Flyers and the Philly media. There was the Mike Richards vs. Philly media thing, the Dry Island thing and the Dan-Carcillo-saying-the-Philly-media-is-ridiculous thing. Come to think of it, you could say the relationship is mostly contentious with occasional moments of normalcy.
Silencing Bryzgalov, though, is a whole new level of contentiousness. The Flyers might think a gag order will quiet the storm, but the Flyers would be wrong. See, what reporters can do now is ask Bryzgalov’s teammates what they think about the silence (they’d ask Bryzgalov about it, but he’s not allowed to talk) — creating this really awkward scenario where a bunch of guys are forced to speak on behalf of the one guy that’s not allowed to speak for himself. Should make for a really harmonious dressing room.
There’s also that not-so-tiny issue of Philly shutting down its best quote machine while the HBO cameras are rolling, something CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio noted:
To end things, here’s Bryzgalov’s infamous post-game interview following last week’s 9-8 loss to Winnipeg.
May as well enjoy it. There might not be many more coming our way.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)