Oct 31, 2011, 9:35 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators center admitted to some serious confusion regarding the NHL’s decision not to “Shanaban” Beauchemin and Wojtek Wolski for their controversial hits during the weekend. Fisher provided this Tweet in response to Ottawa journalist Ian Mendes‘ report that the Senators were upset about a lack of discipline for Wolski’s hit on Daniel Alfredsson.
So should we believe Fisher’s statement that players are confused about Brendan Shanahan’s new direction (or maybe that they’re still confused about what’s legal or not)? There have certainly been moments of discipline – or lack thereof – that furrowed brows around the league, although Shanahan & Co. at least deserve credit for being transparent regarding their logic via videos.
Look, making these decisions isn’t easy. It might take time for Shanahan’s crew to develop a consistent body of work that players, executives and fans can understand. Here’s hoping that they find the right balance between consistency and flexibility, though.
If you ask Fisher and likely many others, the NHL still has a way to go before they find an ideal combination of the two, though.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)