Oct 31, 2011, 9:35 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators center admitted to some serious confusion regarding the NHL’s decision not to “Shanaban” Beauchemin and Wojtek Wolski for their controversial hits during the weekend. Fisher provided this Tweet in response to Ottawa journalist Ian Mendes‘ report that the Senators were upset about a lack of discipline for Wolski’s hit on Daniel Alfredsson.
So should we believe Fisher’s statement that players are confused about Brendan Shanahan’s new direction (or maybe that they’re still confused about what’s legal or not)? There have certainly been moments of discipline – or lack thereof – that furrowed brows around the league, although Shanahan & Co. at least deserve credit for being transparent regarding their logic via videos.
Look, making these decisions isn’t easy. It might take time for Shanahan’s crew to develop a consistent body of work that players, executives and fans can understand. Here’s hoping that they find the right balance between consistency and flexibility, though.
If you ask Fisher and likely many others, the NHL still has a way to go before they find an ideal combination of the two, though.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 59
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal