Oct 31, 2011, 9:35 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators center admitted to some serious confusion regarding the NHL’s decision not to “Shanaban” Beauchemin and Wojtek Wolski for their controversial hits during the weekend. Fisher provided this Tweet in response to Ottawa journalist Ian Mendes‘ report that the Senators were upset about a lack of discipline for Wolski’s hit on Daniel Alfredsson.
So should we believe Fisher’s statement that players are confused about Brendan Shanahan’s new direction (or maybe that they’re still confused about what’s legal or not)? There have certainly been moments of discipline – or lack thereof – that furrowed brows around the league, although Shanahan & Co. at least deserve credit for being transparent regarding their logic via videos.
Look, making these decisions isn’t easy. It might take time for Shanahan’s crew to develop a consistent body of work that players, executives and fans can understand. Here’s hoping that they find the right balance between consistency and flexibility, though.
If you ask Fisher and likely many others, the NHL still has a way to go before they find an ideal combination of the two, though.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)