Oct 31, 2011, 9:35 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators center admitted to some serious confusion regarding the NHL’s decision not to “Shanaban” Beauchemin and Wojtek Wolski for their controversial hits during the weekend. Fisher provided this Tweet in response to Ottawa journalist Ian Mendes‘ report that the Senators were upset about a lack of discipline for Wolski’s hit on Daniel Alfredsson.
So should we believe Fisher’s statement that players are confused about Brendan Shanahan’s new direction (or maybe that they’re still confused about what’s legal or not)? There have certainly been moments of discipline – or lack thereof – that furrowed brows around the league, although Shanahan & Co. at least deserve credit for being transparent regarding their logic via videos.
Look, making these decisions isn’t easy. It might take time for Shanahan’s crew to develop a consistent body of work that players, executives and fans can understand. Here’s hoping that they find the right balance between consistency and flexibility, though.
If you ask Fisher and likely many others, the NHL still has a way to go before they find an ideal combination of the two, though.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 4
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 6
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 13
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)