Oct 31, 2011, 11:36 AM EDT
Even though Johan Hedberg has been holding things down just fine for New Jersey, Martin Brodeur is back and ready for action. After dealing with a nagging shoulder ailment, Brodeur is feeling better and has been taken off of injured reserve.
Brodeur comes back to a team that has seen the backup goalie carry the team in his absence and with a pair of older guys taking care of things, the Devils are in a nice comfort zone. That said, with how Hedberg has played are the Devils even going to notice that Brodeur is back?
Hedberg has given up just 18 goals in eight games and is rocking a save percentage of .924 while holding down the fort. Those are comparable to the kinds of numbers the Devils would love to see Brodeur put up at age 39 and similar to what Brodeur did back in 2009-2010 as a Vezina Trophy finalist.
In short, Hedberg has been awesome and if they can keep things cruising along the same way with both guys, the Devils are going to do just fine. Now if they can just figure out their power play maybe they’ll be in business.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 0
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 7
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)