Oct 31, 2011, 10:30 PM EDT
Does “bulletin board material” have an expiration date?
We might just find out the next time the San Jose Sharks and New York Rangers meet, as Joe Thornton provided this stunning bit of criticism to CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz.
This is an especially surprising critique considering the fact that the Rangers handled the Sharks by a score of 5-2 while out-shooting Thornton & Co. 31-26.
Maybe Thornton is mad that his team fell one win short of a perfect six-game road trip. Perhaps Jumbo Joe is upset that the Sharks are still looking up at the Dallas Stars and Los Angeles Kings in the Pacific Division despite that impressive stretch of away games. Of course, he could just be frustrated with his own efforts; one of the enduring images of Monday’s contest was Dan Girardi‘s alert poke check on a Thornton one-timer pass.
The only way the Rangers can get direct revenge is if the two teams meet in the 2012 Stanley Cup finals. Otherwise it’s one of those things that could easily get lost in the shuffle – at least until a reporter reminds everyone whenever the two squads square off again.
John Tortorella shouldn’t wait to yield some solid motivation from Thornton’s words, though.
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Eastern Conference Final Game 7 7
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 30
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (54)