Oct 31, 2011, 10:30 PM EST
Does “bulletin board material” have an expiration date?
We might just find out the next time the San Jose Sharks and New York Rangers meet, as Joe Thornton provided this stunning bit of criticism to CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz.
This is an especially surprising critique considering the fact that the Rangers handled the Sharks by a score of 5-2 while out-shooting Thornton & Co. 31-26.
Maybe Thornton is mad that his team fell one win short of a perfect six-game road trip. Perhaps Jumbo Joe is upset that the Sharks are still looking up at the Dallas Stars and Los Angeles Kings in the Pacific Division despite that impressive stretch of away games. Of course, he could just be frustrated with his own efforts; one of the enduring images of Monday’s contest was Dan Girardi‘s alert poke check on a Thornton one-timer pass.
The only way the Rangers can get direct revenge is if the two teams meet in the 2012 Stanley Cup finals. Otherwise it’s one of those things that could easily get lost in the shuffle – at least until a reporter reminds everyone whenever the two squads square off again.
John Tortorella shouldn’t wait to yield some solid motivation from Thornton’s words, though.
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 1
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 11
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56