Oct 31, 2011, 10:30 PM EDT
Does “bulletin board material” have an expiration date?
We might just find out the next time the San Jose Sharks and New York Rangers meet, as Joe Thornton provided this stunning bit of criticism to CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz.
This is an especially surprising critique considering the fact that the Rangers handled the Sharks by a score of 5-2 while out-shooting Thornton & Co. 31-26.
Maybe Thornton is mad that his team fell one win short of a perfect six-game road trip. Perhaps Jumbo Joe is upset that the Sharks are still looking up at the Dallas Stars and Los Angeles Kings in the Pacific Division despite that impressive stretch of away games. Of course, he could just be frustrated with his own efforts; one of the enduring images of Monday’s contest was Dan Girardi‘s alert poke check on a Thornton one-timer pass.
The only way the Rangers can get direct revenge is if the two teams meet in the 2012 Stanley Cup finals. Otherwise it’s one of those things that could easily get lost in the shuffle – at least until a reporter reminds everyone whenever the two squads square off again.
John Tortorella shouldn’t wait to yield some solid motivation from Thornton’s words, though.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 47
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 50
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)