Oct 31, 2011, 10:30 PM EST
Does “bulletin board material” have an expiration date?
We might just find out the next time the San Jose Sharks and New York Rangers meet, as Joe Thornton provided this stunning bit of criticism to CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz.
This is an especially surprising critique considering the fact that the Rangers handled the Sharks by a score of 5-2 while out-shooting Thornton & Co. 31-26.
Maybe Thornton is mad that his team fell one win short of a perfect six-game road trip. Perhaps Jumbo Joe is upset that the Sharks are still looking up at the Dallas Stars and Los Angeles Kings in the Pacific Division despite that impressive stretch of away games. Of course, he could just be frustrated with his own efforts; one of the enduring images of Monday’s contest was Dan Girardi‘s alert poke check on a Thornton one-timer pass.
The only way the Rangers can get direct revenge is if the two teams meet in the 2012 Stanley Cup finals. Otherwise it’s one of those things that could easily get lost in the shuffle – at least until a reporter reminds everyone whenever the two squads square off again.
John Tortorella shouldn’t wait to yield some solid motivation from Thornton’s words, though.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 44
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)