Oct 31, 2011, 8:30 AM EST
Columbus’ 3-1 win over Anaheim last night may have been a job-saving win for a few people in the Jackets organization. Coach Scott Arniel and GM Scott Howson both had their jobs put in jeopardy according to reports on Sunday morning, but after coming out swinging and scoring against the Ducks, the ship may finally be getting righted in Columbus.
What did the Jackets use to get focused to win, however? Anger and lots of it as the teams squared off in four fights with Derek Dorsett getting in two of his own. Michael Arace of Puck Rakers finds out that anger management is something the Jackets could do without to win.
“When we play with a bit of an edge, when we play like we’re pissed off, when we play in the hard areas and go there first…that’s usually when better things happen for us,” Jackets coach Scott Arniel said.
Having guys like Dorsett and James Wisniewski will help the Jackets play angry as Dorsett is their own version of the “little ball of hate” and Wisniewski since returning from suspension has been lights out and providing that “edge” that Arniel is talking about. With the rumors about Ken Hitchcock potentially returning with his taskmaster ways as coach, the Jackets should have plenty of reasons to be angry about that.
If the Jackets can continue to play with a chip on their shoulder like they did against the Ducks, they’ll turn into a team like the Ducks on their own. One with skill to score and enough hate down in their hearts to rub everyone the wrong way. It’s either that or Hitchcock and his iron fist come in and crush them.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 11
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 29
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 46
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 14
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)