Oct 31, 2011, 8:30 AM EDT
Columbus’ 3-1 win over Anaheim last night may have been a job-saving win for a few people in the Jackets organization. Coach Scott Arniel and GM Scott Howson both had their jobs put in jeopardy according to reports on Sunday morning, but after coming out swinging and scoring against the Ducks, the ship may finally be getting righted in Columbus.
What did the Jackets use to get focused to win, however? Anger and lots of it as the teams squared off in four fights with Derek Dorsett getting in two of his own. Michael Arace of Puck Rakers finds out that anger management is something the Jackets could do without to win.
“When we play with a bit of an edge, when we play like we’re pissed off, when we play in the hard areas and go there first…that’s usually when better things happen for us,” Jackets coach Scott Arniel said.
Having guys like Dorsett and James Wisniewski will help the Jackets play angry as Dorsett is their own version of the “little ball of hate” and Wisniewski since returning from suspension has been lights out and providing that “edge” that Arniel is talking about. With the rumors about Ken Hitchcock potentially returning with his taskmaster ways as coach, the Jackets should have plenty of reasons to be angry about that.
If the Jackets can continue to play with a chip on their shoulder like they did against the Ducks, they’ll turn into a team like the Ducks on their own. One with skill to score and enough hate down in their hearts to rub everyone the wrong way. It’s either that or Hitchcock and his iron fist come in and crush them.
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 0
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 17
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 16
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 16
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 19
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 69
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 101
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement