Oct 31, 2011, 8:30 AM EDT
Columbus’ 3-1 win over Anaheim last night may have been a job-saving win for a few people in the Jackets organization. Coach Scott Arniel and GM Scott Howson both had their jobs put in jeopardy according to reports on Sunday morning, but after coming out swinging and scoring against the Ducks, the ship may finally be getting righted in Columbus.
What did the Jackets use to get focused to win, however? Anger and lots of it as the teams squared off in four fights with Derek Dorsett getting in two of his own. Michael Arace of Puck Rakers finds out that anger management is something the Jackets could do without to win.
“When we play with a bit of an edge, when we play like we’re pissed off, when we play in the hard areas and go there first…that’s usually when better things happen for us,” Jackets coach Scott Arniel said.
Having guys like Dorsett and James Wisniewski will help the Jackets play angry as Dorsett is their own version of the “little ball of hate” and Wisniewski since returning from suspension has been lights out and providing that “edge” that Arniel is talking about. With the rumors about Ken Hitchcock potentially returning with his taskmaster ways as coach, the Jackets should have plenty of reasons to be angry about that.
If the Jackets can continue to play with a chip on their shoulder like they did against the Ducks, they’ll turn into a team like the Ducks on their own. One with skill to score and enough hate down in their hearts to rub everyone the wrong way. It’s either that or Hitchcock and his iron fist come in and crush them.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)