Oct 31, 2011, 11:58 AM EDT
After allowing just four goals on 80 shots against the Flyers and Bruins, Montreal Canadiens netminder Carey Price has been named the NHL’s first star of the week.
It was a good week for Price who, along with the rest of his Montreal teammates, responded exceptionally to being freed from the shackles of Perry Pearn’s tyrannical reign. The Habs won their first home game and put together their first winning streak of the season, which included a sweep of their hated rivals. The highlight of Price’s week was a 29-save effort in Thursday’s 2-1 win over the Bruins at the TD Garden, where he stopped all 11 shots in the third period.
Second star of the week went to Edmonton goalie Nikolai Khabibulin. Like Price, Khabibulin reeled off three victories last week (over the Canucks, Capitals and Blues), improving his numbers on the season to 5-0-2 with a 1.12 GAA and a .960 save percentage. Khabibulin’s also believed to be the first player to win a star of the week within three months of being incarcerated at Arizona’s Maricopa County Jail. As a reward, he’ll be given an extra honey bun at chow.
Third star of the week went to Philadelphia’s Jaromir Jagr. The 39-year-old LW has scored five goals in his last four games (this after going goalless in his first seven) which included a pair of two-goal efforts against the Leafs and Hurricanes. If you’re curious, I believe the last time Jagr earned a three star honor was in Dec. 2007 as a member of the New York Rangers. That year, Jagr finished with 71 points in 82 games — this year, he’s on pace for 82 in 82.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 3
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)