Oct 31, 2011, 11:58 AM EDT
After allowing just four goals on 80 shots against the Flyers and Bruins, Montreal Canadiens netminder Carey Price has been named the NHL’s first star of the week.
It was a good week for Price who, along with the rest of his Montreal teammates, responded exceptionally to being freed from the shackles of Perry Pearn’s tyrannical reign. The Habs won their first home game and put together their first winning streak of the season, which included a sweep of their hated rivals. The highlight of Price’s week was a 29-save effort in Thursday’s 2-1 win over the Bruins at the TD Garden, where he stopped all 11 shots in the third period.
Second star of the week went to Edmonton goalie Nikolai Khabibulin. Like Price, Khabibulin reeled off three victories last week (over the Canucks, Capitals and Blues), improving his numbers on the season to 5-0-2 with a 1.12 GAA and a .960 save percentage. Khabibulin’s also believed to be the first player to win a star of the week within three months of being incarcerated at Arizona’s Maricopa County Jail. As a reward, he’ll be given an extra honey bun at chow.
Third star of the week went to Philadelphia’s Jaromir Jagr. The 39-year-old LW has scored five goals in his last four games (this after going goalless in his first seven) which included a pair of two-goal efforts against the Leafs and Hurricanes. If you’re curious, I believe the last time Jagr earned a three star honor was in Dec. 2007 as a member of the New York Rangers. That year, Jagr finished with 71 points in 82 games — this year, he’s on pace for 82 in 82.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 6
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)