Oct 31, 2011, 11:58 AM EST
After allowing just four goals on 80 shots against the Flyers and Bruins, Montreal Canadiens netminder Carey Price has been named the NHL’s first star of the week.
It was a good week for Price who, along with the rest of his Montreal teammates, responded exceptionally to being freed from the shackles of Perry Pearn’s tyrannical reign. The Habs won their first home game and put together their first winning streak of the season, which included a sweep of their hated rivals. The highlight of Price’s week was a 29-save effort in Thursday’s 2-1 win over the Bruins at the TD Garden, where he stopped all 11 shots in the third period.
Second star of the week went to Edmonton goalie Nikolai Khabibulin. Like Price, Khabibulin reeled off three victories last week (over the Canucks, Capitals and Blues), improving his numbers on the season to 5-0-2 with a 1.12 GAA and a .960 save percentage. Khabibulin’s also believed to be the first player to win a star of the week within three months of being incarcerated at Arizona’s Maricopa County Jail. As a reward, he’ll be given an extra honey bun at chow.
Third star of the week went to Philadelphia’s Jaromir Jagr. The 39-year-old LW has scored five goals in his last four games (this after going goalless in his first seven) which included a pair of two-goal efforts against the Leafs and Hurricanes. If you’re curious, I believe the last time Jagr earned a three star honor was in Dec. 2007 as a member of the New York Rangers. That year, Jagr finished with 71 points in 82 games — this year, he’s on pace for 82 in 82.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)