Oct 31, 2011, 11:58 AM EDT
After allowing just four goals on 80 shots against the Flyers and Bruins, Montreal Canadiens netminder Carey Price has been named the NHL’s first star of the week.
It was a good week for Price who, along with the rest of his Montreal teammates, responded exceptionally to being freed from the shackles of Perry Pearn’s tyrannical reign. The Habs won their first home game and put together their first winning streak of the season, which included a sweep of their hated rivals. The highlight of Price’s week was a 29-save effort in Thursday’s 2-1 win over the Bruins at the TD Garden, where he stopped all 11 shots in the third period.
Second star of the week went to Edmonton goalie Nikolai Khabibulin. Like Price, Khabibulin reeled off three victories last week (over the Canucks, Capitals and Blues), improving his numbers on the season to 5-0-2 with a 1.12 GAA and a .960 save percentage. Khabibulin’s also believed to be the first player to win a star of the week within three months of being incarcerated at Arizona’s Maricopa County Jail. As a reward, he’ll be given an extra honey bun at chow.
Third star of the week went to Philadelphia’s Jaromir Jagr. The 39-year-old LW has scored five goals in his last four games (this after going goalless in his first seven) which included a pair of two-goal efforts against the Leafs and Hurricanes. If you’re curious, I believe the last time Jagr earned a three star honor was in Dec. 2007 as a member of the New York Rangers. That year, Jagr finished with 71 points in 82 games — this year, he’s on pace for 82 in 82.
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 14
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)