Oct 31, 2011, 6:18 PM EST
When asked today what they thought of Saturday’s Coach’s Corner segment on CBC in which Cherry ripped the Canucks for whining to the referees and not “paying the price” in their first 10 games, Vancouver players could only shrug.
Forward Alex Burrows echoed Bieksa’s sentiments. “We don’t really care what people say about us on the outside.”
The Canucks have answered questions about their “most hated team” reputation before. In fact, “We don’t care what anyone else thinks” could be their unofficial motto at this point.
Bieksa did, however, admit the Canucks have been guilty of whining to the referees before.
“It’s something that hurt us in the past,” he said. “It hurt us a couple of years ago in the playoffs.
“We took note of it and corrected it last season. We were very good last season and this year we have been pretty good. We’re not perfect. There are slip ups. It’s an emotional game. We are getting better.”
This isn’t the first time Bieksa has conceded the Canucks aren’t perfect. During the second round of last year’s playoffs, he had a few things to say about diving, another transgression Vancouver’s been accused of.
“I know guys will do whatever it takes for a power play to win a game,” Bieksa said. “But sometimes they’re crossing that line of integrity. I think for the better of the game, for the good of the game we need people to stay on that line and not cross it, and not dive and exaggerate for calls.”
Apparently not everyone got the memo on that one.
At any rate, it doesn’t appear the Canucks will be shaking their reputation anytime soon.
It also doesn’t appear they’re too worried about it.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)