Oct 31, 2011, 6:18 PM EST
When asked today what they thought of Saturday’s Coach’s Corner segment on CBC in which Cherry ripped the Canucks for whining to the referees and not “paying the price” in their first 10 games, Vancouver players could only shrug.
Forward Alex Burrows echoed Bieksa’s sentiments. “We don’t really care what people say about us on the outside.”
The Canucks have answered questions about their “most hated team” reputation before. In fact, “We don’t care what anyone else thinks” could be their unofficial motto at this point.
Bieksa did, however, admit the Canucks have been guilty of whining to the referees before.
“It’s something that hurt us in the past,” he said. “It hurt us a couple of years ago in the playoffs.
“We took note of it and corrected it last season. We were very good last season and this year we have been pretty good. We’re not perfect. There are slip ups. It’s an emotional game. We are getting better.”
This isn’t the first time Bieksa has conceded the Canucks aren’t perfect. During the second round of last year’s playoffs, he had a few things to say about diving, another transgression Vancouver’s been accused of.
“I know guys will do whatever it takes for a power play to win a game,” Bieksa said. “But sometimes they’re crossing that line of integrity. I think for the better of the game, for the good of the game we need people to stay on that line and not cross it, and not dive and exaggerate for calls.”
Apparently not everyone got the memo on that one.
At any rate, it doesn’t appear the Canucks will be shaking their reputation anytime soon.
It also doesn’t appear they’re too worried about it.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)