Oct 31, 2011, 11:54 AM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets players got together before last night’s game versus Anaheim and decided enough was enough. At least for one night.
Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch spoke with captain Rick Nash about the players-only meeting that preceded the team’s 3-1 win over the Ducks.
“The players here love what we’ve got,” Nash said. “Management, coaches…everyone’s very excited and very happy with what we have. And we wouldn’t want to lose it.
“As players, you feel guilty because you’re obviously not winning, that’s the reason. But we all believe in our system, in our management. We believe in [coach Scott Arniel]. That’s the last thing we’d want to happen.”
Nash, of course, is referring to the potential firing of Arniel, who had a few things to say about the players-only meeting himself.
“They told me they were having a meeting at 4 o’clock,” Arniel said. “That was good to hear. I don’t know what was said. I don’t care what was said. I just like the fact that they got together and took control of what they needed to take control of.
“The way they competed and the way they played hard and sacrificed for each other…that was probably a lot of what they talked about.”
Arniel could still be fired, as could coach GM Scott Howson. And you know what? So could team president Mike Priest, as Portzline reports majority owner John P. McConnell is “engaged with the situation, too.”
The Jackets host the Leafs Thursday. With three days off after yesterday’s game, today would’ve been as good a time as any to make changes. The victory over the Ducks may very well have saved some jobs.
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 0
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 18
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 8
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)