Oct 31, 2011, 11:54 AM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets players got together before last night’s game versus Anaheim and decided enough was enough. At least for one night.
Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch spoke with captain Rick Nash about the players-only meeting that preceded the team’s 3-1 win over the Ducks.
“The players here love what we’ve got,” Nash said. “Management, coaches…everyone’s very excited and very happy with what we have. And we wouldn’t want to lose it.
“As players, you feel guilty because you’re obviously not winning, that’s the reason. But we all believe in our system, in our management. We believe in [coach Scott Arniel]. That’s the last thing we’d want to happen.”
Nash, of course, is referring to the potential firing of Arniel, who had a few things to say about the players-only meeting himself.
“They told me they were having a meeting at 4 o’clock,” Arniel said. “That was good to hear. I don’t know what was said. I don’t care what was said. I just like the fact that they got together and took control of what they needed to take control of.
“The way they competed and the way they played hard and sacrificed for each other…that was probably a lot of what they talked about.”
Arniel could still be fired, as could coach GM Scott Howson. And you know what? So could team president Mike Priest, as Portzline reports majority owner John P. McConnell is “engaged with the situation, too.”
The Jackets host the Leafs Thursday. With three days off after yesterday’s game, today would’ve been as good a time as any to make changes. The victory over the Ducks may very well have saved some jobs.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)