Oct 31, 2011, 8:37 PM EDT
If you read between the fuzzy concussion-related lines of today’s first Daniel Alfredsson-related post, it was probably already obvious that the Ottawa Senators captain will be out for some time. The exact amount of time is still indefinite, but the floor is clear now: he’ll miss at least one week according to GM Bryan Murray.
Going by that metric, Alf will miss at least three games: a road contest against Boston (Nov. 1) and home games against Montreal (Nov. 4) and Buffalo (Nov. 5). If it goes beyond a week, the next concern would be a Nov. 9 contest against the Rangers in Ottawa.
As Joe wrote, the surging Senators will miss their captain. He has four goals and three assists for seven points in 10 games so far this season. Alfredsson isn’t the elite player he once was, but his defensive savvy and skills remain important to an Ottawa team that still won’t scare anyone on paper.
At this point, you’re probably aware that concussions can be a big mystery. We’ll keep an eye on this situation and pass along updates as the trickle in.
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series 2-2 against Kings 0
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 48
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Live Extra: Watch NHL Live postgame show
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner