Oct 31, 2011, 12:09 PM EST
All it took was an errant elbow from Wojtek Wolski to put Daniel Alfredsson out of action for Ottawa and now the Senators are being highly cautious with their team captain. The Ottawa Citizen reports that Alfredsson will be held out of action by coach Paul MacLean until he shows signs of being fully recovered from concussion symptoms. Alfredsson isn’t even traveling to Boston for the Sens next game.
At least one team is being careful about how they handle concussed players.
At 38 years-old, Alfredsson has had his share of other ailments, but dealing with a concussion is something no player would like to deal with at any point. With all the care the league is trying to take in treating concussions, Alfredsson being treated and watched carefully for what’s hurting him is a tough blow for a team that is roaring along in their play. Losing the captain for an unknown amount of time is no fun.
As for a timetable when he can come back, we know the routine on that by now, don’t we? The young Sens will have to keep it rolling along without Alfredsson, something that didn’t hinder them last night against Toronto in winning their sixth straight game.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)