Oct 31, 2011, 12:09 PM EDT
All it took was an errant elbow from Wojtek Wolski to put Daniel Alfredsson out of action for Ottawa and now the Senators are being highly cautious with their team captain. The Ottawa Citizen reports that Alfredsson will be held out of action by coach Paul MacLean until he shows signs of being fully recovered from concussion symptoms. Alfredsson isn’t even traveling to Boston for the Sens next game.
At least one team is being careful about how they handle concussed players.
At 38 years-old, Alfredsson has had his share of other ailments, but dealing with a concussion is something no player would like to deal with at any point. With all the care the league is trying to take in treating concussions, Alfredsson being treated and watched carefully for what’s hurting him is a tough blow for a team that is roaring along in their play. Losing the captain for an unknown amount of time is no fun.
As for a timetable when he can come back, we know the routine on that by now, don’t we? The young Sens will have to keep it rolling along without Alfredsson, something that didn’t hinder them last night against Toronto in winning their sixth straight game.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)