Oct 31, 2011, 12:09 PM EST
All it took was an errant elbow from Wojtek Wolski to put Daniel Alfredsson out of action for Ottawa and now the Senators are being highly cautious with their team captain. The Ottawa Citizen reports that Alfredsson will be held out of action by coach Paul MacLean until he shows signs of being fully recovered from concussion symptoms. Alfredsson isn’t even traveling to Boston for the Sens next game.
At least one team is being careful about how they handle concussed players.
At 38 years-old, Alfredsson has had his share of other ailments, but dealing with a concussion is something no player would like to deal with at any point. With all the care the league is trying to take in treating concussions, Alfredsson being treated and watched carefully for what’s hurting him is a tough blow for a team that is roaring along in their play. Losing the captain for an unknown amount of time is no fun.
As for a timetable when he can come back, we know the routine on that by now, don’t we? The young Sens will have to keep it rolling along without Alfredsson, something that didn’t hinder them last night against Toronto in winning their sixth straight game.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 1
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 16
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)