Oct 31, 2011, 12:09 PM EDT
All it took was an errant elbow from Wojtek Wolski to put Daniel Alfredsson out of action for Ottawa and now the Senators are being highly cautious with their team captain. The Ottawa Citizen reports that Alfredsson will be held out of action by coach Paul MacLean until he shows signs of being fully recovered from concussion symptoms. Alfredsson isn’t even traveling to Boston for the Sens next game.
At least one team is being careful about how they handle concussed players.
At 38 years-old, Alfredsson has had his share of other ailments, but dealing with a concussion is something no player would like to deal with at any point. With all the care the league is trying to take in treating concussions, Alfredsson being treated and watched carefully for what’s hurting him is a tough blow for a team that is roaring along in their play. Losing the captain for an unknown amount of time is no fun.
As for a timetable when he can come back, we know the routine on that by now, don’t we? The young Sens will have to keep it rolling along without Alfredsson, something that didn’t hinder them last night against Toronto in winning their sixth straight game.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)