Oct 30, 2011, 8:49 PM EST
When the Ducks (losers in two of the last three) and Blue Jackets (dead last in overall standings) were set to face each other this evening, most expected a fairly testy affair.
Well it’s certainly been testy…and then some.
Regardless of the final outcome, the story of this game will be the fisticuffs. The two teams combined for eight fighting majors and 54 penalty minutes in the first two periods alone, though to be accurate all the fighting occurred in a span of 26:39. We here at PHT are nothing if not accurate when it comes to time counts.
That bout was followed by a rather unexpected brawl — Andrew Cogliano vs. Kris Russell. According to hockeyfights.com, this is just the third scrap of Cogliano’s career and the fifth of Russell’s. (Translation: Get ready for some visor-fueled grappling.)
Finally, Dorsett vs. Brookbank II occurs with just under two minutes remaining in the second period:
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46