Oct 30, 2011, 8:49 PM EDT
When the Ducks (losers in two of the last three) and Blue Jackets (dead last in overall standings) were set to face each other this evening, most expected a fairly testy affair.
Well it’s certainly been testy…and then some.
Regardless of the final outcome, the story of this game will be the fisticuffs. The two teams combined for eight fighting majors and 54 penalty minutes in the first two periods alone, though to be accurate all the fighting occurred in a span of 26:39. We here at PHT are nothing if not accurate when it comes to time counts.
That bout was followed by a rather unexpected brawl — Andrew Cogliano vs. Kris Russell. According to hockeyfights.com, this is just the third scrap of Cogliano’s career and the fifth of Russell’s. (Translation: Get ready for some visor-fueled grappling.)
Finally, Dorsett vs. Brookbank II occurs with just under two minutes remaining in the second period:
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 24
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 23
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 40
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)