Oct 30, 2011, 6:49 PM EDT
For an NHL team that already struggles at the gate, a Monday night home game against a less-than-flashy opponent can be a tough sell. When said Monday also happens to be Halloween, the challenge becomes even mightier.
The Florida Panthers are facing the above predicament Monday when they’re scheduled to host the Winnipeg Jets at the BankAtlantic Center.
The marketing department’s solution? Free admission to kids, 12 and under, who show up dressed in a Halloween costume.
(Be funny if one of the kids dressed up as an empty seat. “You’re a real jerk, kid.”)
Good on the Panthers though. Nothing wrong with providing families an affordable night out. Besides, the team’s playing solid hockey under new coach Kevin Dineen. The players deserve better crowds than they’ve been getting. So far the club is averaging just 16,191 per game, 20th in the NHL.
Not that the fans have had a ton of chances to show up and cheer the team on. Seven of Florida’s first 10 games have been played on the road.
The Panthers (6-4-0) are coming off a 3-2 win yesterday in Buffalo, the victory highlighted by two late third-period goals by offseason addition Tomas Fleischmann and vastly underrated defenseman Jason Garrison.
“We’re playing good hockey,” said goalie Jose Theodore. “The guys are really dedicated to the little details, and to playing real well.”
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 5
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 7
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 15
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 47
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (60)