Oct 30, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT
The New York Post’s Larry Brooks is among those reporting Sean Avery will be placed on re-entry waivers tomorrow and could be in the Rangers’ line-up Thursday against the Ducks.
You win, banner.
Brooks doesn’t expect any other team to put in a claim for Avery. If Brooks is right, Avery’s $3.875-million cap hit will once again be split 50-50 between the Rangers and Dallas Stars. (Not that the floor-flirting Stars care. In fact, they’re probably happy to gain the cap hit. Just means they can jettison even more salary if they have to.)
Avery played two games with the Connecticut Whale after being cut rather unsympathetically by Rangers coach John Tortorella out of training camp. The infamous agitator figured he’d be spending the rest of the season in the AHL while he played out the last year of his contract.
Of course, Avery’s figuring came before yesterday, when the Rangers blew a three-goal, third-period lead at home to the Ottawa Senators, eventually losing 5-4 in a shootout.
Whether calling up Avery was Tortorella’s decision or GM Glen Sather’s, it says a lot about the team’s recent run of play. In the Rangers’ last four games, they “sucked head to toe” in a 2-0 loss to the Oilers, beat Winnipeg unconvincingly, lost to the Leafs at home, and blew it against the Sens.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)