Oct 30, 2011, 5:20 PM EST
The New York Post’s Larry Brooks is among those reporting Sean Avery will be placed on re-entry waivers tomorrow and could be in the Rangers’ line-up Thursday against the Ducks.
You win, banner.
Brooks doesn’t expect any other team to put in a claim for Avery. If Brooks is right, Avery’s $3.875-million cap hit will once again be split 50-50 between the Rangers and Dallas Stars. (Not that the floor-flirting Stars care. In fact, they’re probably happy to gain the cap hit. Just means they can jettison even more salary if they have to.)
Avery played two games with the Connecticut Whale after being cut rather unsympathetically by Rangers coach John Tortorella out of training camp. The infamous agitator figured he’d be spending the rest of the season in the AHL while he played out the last year of his contract.
Of course, Avery’s figuring came before yesterday, when the Rangers blew a three-goal, third-period lead at home to the Ottawa Senators, eventually losing 5-4 in a shootout.
Whether calling up Avery was Tortorella’s decision or GM Glen Sather’s, it says a lot about the team’s recent run of play. In the Rangers’ last four games, they “sucked head to toe” in a 2-0 loss to the Oilers, beat Winnipeg unconvincingly, lost to the Leafs at home, and blew it against the Sens.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)