Oct 30, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT
The New York Post’s Larry Brooks is among those reporting Sean Avery will be placed on re-entry waivers tomorrow and could be in the Rangers’ line-up Thursday against the Ducks.
You win, banner.
Brooks doesn’t expect any other team to put in a claim for Avery. If Brooks is right, Avery’s $3.875-million cap hit will once again be split 50-50 between the Rangers and Dallas Stars. (Not that the floor-flirting Stars care. In fact, they’re probably happy to gain the cap hit. Just means they can jettison even more salary if they have to.)
Avery played two games with the Connecticut Whale after being cut rather unsympathetically by Rangers coach John Tortorella out of training camp. The infamous agitator figured he’d be spending the rest of the season in the AHL while he played out the last year of his contract.
Of course, Avery’s figuring came before yesterday, when the Rangers blew a three-goal, third-period lead at home to the Ottawa Senators, eventually losing 5-4 in a shootout.
Whether calling up Avery was Tortorella’s decision or GM Glen Sather’s, it says a lot about the team’s recent run of play. In the Rangers’ last four games, they “sucked head to toe” in a 2-0 loss to the Oilers, beat Winnipeg unconvincingly, lost to the Leafs at home, and blew it against the Sens.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)