Oct 30, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT
The New York Post’s Larry Brooks is among those reporting Sean Avery will be placed on re-entry waivers tomorrow and could be in the Rangers’ line-up Thursday against the Ducks.
You win, banner.
Brooks doesn’t expect any other team to put in a claim for Avery. If Brooks is right, Avery’s $3.875-million cap hit will once again be split 50-50 between the Rangers and Dallas Stars. (Not that the floor-flirting Stars care. In fact, they’re probably happy to gain the cap hit. Just means they can jettison even more salary if they have to.)
Avery played two games with the Connecticut Whale after being cut rather unsympathetically by Rangers coach John Tortorella out of training camp. The infamous agitator figured he’d be spending the rest of the season in the AHL while he played out the last year of his contract.
Of course, Avery’s figuring came before yesterday, when the Rangers blew a three-goal, third-period lead at home to the Ottawa Senators, eventually losing 5-4 in a shootout.
Whether calling up Avery was Tortorella’s decision or GM Glen Sather’s, it says a lot about the team’s recent run of play. In the Rangers’ last four games, they “sucked head to toe” in a 2-0 loss to the Oilers, beat Winnipeg unconvincingly, lost to the Leafs at home, and blew it against the Sens.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)