Oct 30, 2011, 11:17 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers won their fifth straight Sunday night with a 4-2 victory over the St. Louis Blues at Rexall Arena. The win pushed the Oilers’ record to 7-2-2, their 16 points good for first place in the Western Conference.
Not too shabby for a team that finished last overall in 2010-11.
Edmonton’s strong start begs the question…are the Oilers, like, good now?
The knee-jerk answer is no, they are not good now. Unless you think:
—- Nikolai Khabibulin, 38, can win the Vezina with the greatest stats in modern hockey history.
—- Ryan Smyth, 35, can stay healthy and keep contributing.
—- Shawn Horcoff’s rebirth is legit.
—- It makes absolutely no difference the Oilers played eight of their first 11 at home.
Edmonton heads out on a six-game road trip starting Thursday in Los Angeles, with subsequent stops in Phoenix, Montreal, Boston, Detroit and Chicago. If you’re a bookie, you’re making the Oilers underdogs in all six games.
Indeed, it could all come crashing down for Edmonton in the next two weeks. However, it’s worth noting they predicted the demise of the 2009-10 Colorado Avalanche – a team with a number of similarities to the 2011-12 Oilers – all season long and the Avs held on to make the playoffs.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)