Oct 30, 2011, 11:17 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers won their fifth straight Sunday night with a 4-2 victory over the St. Louis Blues at Rexall Arena. The win pushed the Oilers’ record to 7-2-2, their 16 points good for first place in the Western Conference.
Not too shabby for a team that finished last overall in 2010-11.
Edmonton’s strong start begs the question…are the Oilers, like, good now?
The knee-jerk answer is no, they are not good now. Unless you think:
—- Nikolai Khabibulin, 38, can win the Vezina with the greatest stats in modern hockey history.
—- Ryan Smyth, 35, can stay healthy and keep contributing.
—- Shawn Horcoff’s rebirth is legit.
—- It makes absolutely no difference the Oilers played eight of their first 11 at home.
Edmonton heads out on a six-game road trip starting Thursday in Los Angeles, with subsequent stops in Phoenix, Montreal, Boston, Detroit and Chicago. If you’re a bookie, you’re making the Oilers underdogs in all six games.
Indeed, it could all come crashing down for Edmonton in the next two weeks. However, it’s worth noting they predicted the demise of the 2009-10 Colorado Avalanche – a team with a number of similarities to the 2011-12 Oilers – all season long and the Avs held on to make the playoffs.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 14
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 9
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)