Oct 30, 2011, 12:19 PM EST
Nasty scene last night in Nashville involving Anaheim Ducks D Francois Beauchemin and Nashville Predators C Mike Fisher. Midway through the first period, Beauchemin jumped into the neutral zone and delivered a lethal shot to an unsuspecting Fisher:
Nashville head coach Barry Trotz was rather blunt regarding the incident that marred Nashville’s 3-0 win. “I’ll leave that up to the league,” Trotz told The Tennessean about the legality of the hit. “I look at it and I think it’s pretty clear, but I’ll leave it up to the league.”
Beauchemin, who received two minutes for an illegal check to the head (and another two for roughing after getting jumped by Preds D Kevin Klein, who got four) was quick to defend his actions. “That’s just one of those fast plays that happens. Just a hit shoulder to shoulder,” he told the Orange County Register. “That’s what the league is looking at and I really had my arm tucked in. (No) elbow. Nothing. Maybe the point of the impact of his head on the ice hurt him more than anything else.”
Fisher left the ice immediately and didn’t return to the game. According to the Predators, he’s out with an upper-body injury.
The hit renewed the heated rivalry these two built up during last spring’s opening playoff series. Six minutes after Beauchemin hit Fisher and Klein jumped Beauchemin, George Parros and Brian McGrattan threw down in a spirited (and lengthy) fight:
Later in the third, Matt Beleskey and
Blake Geoffrion also threw down. The teams ended up combining for 42 penalty minutes all told, confirming that this is one of the league’s more heated rivalries. You don’t normally think of Anaheim-Nashville as a grudge match, but there’s definitely some bad blood between them.
We won’t have to wait long for a rematch, either. On Nov. 9, the Ducks will host the Predators at the Honda Center in what should be a contentious affair.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 1
- Devils fire DeBoer 19
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 17
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)