Oct 30, 2011, 12:19 PM EDT
Nasty scene last night in Nashville involving Anaheim Ducks D Francois Beauchemin and Nashville Predators C Mike Fisher. Midway through the first period, Beauchemin jumped into the neutral zone and delivered a lethal shot to an unsuspecting Fisher:
Nashville head coach Barry Trotz was rather blunt regarding the incident that marred Nashville’s 3-0 win. “I’ll leave that up to the league,” Trotz told The Tennessean about the legality of the hit. “I look at it and I think it’s pretty clear, but I’ll leave it up to the league.”
Beauchemin, who received two minutes for an illegal check to the head (and another two for roughing after getting jumped by Preds D Kevin Klein, who got four) was quick to defend his actions. “That’s just one of those fast plays that happens. Just a hit shoulder to shoulder,” he told the Orange County Register. “That’s what the league is looking at and I really had my arm tucked in. (No) elbow. Nothing. Maybe the point of the impact of his head on the ice hurt him more than anything else.”
Fisher left the ice immediately and didn’t return to the game. According to the Predators, he’s out with an upper-body injury.
The hit renewed the heated rivalry these two built up during last spring’s opening playoff series. Six minutes after Beauchemin hit Fisher and Klein jumped Beauchemin, George Parros and Brian McGrattan threw down in a spirited (and lengthy) fight:
Later in the third, Matt Beleskey and
Blake Geoffrion also threw down. The teams ended up combining for 42 penalty minutes all told, confirming that this is one of the league’s more heated rivalries. You don’t normally think of Anaheim-Nashville as a grudge match, but there’s definitely some bad blood between them.
We won’t have to wait long for a rematch, either. On Nov. 9, the Ducks will host the Predators at the Honda Center in what should be a contentious affair.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)