Oct 29, 2011, 6:37 PM EST
The St. Louis Blues announced Saturday afternoon that defenseman Kent Huskins is out with a broken bone in his ankle. According to the organization, Huskins suffered the injury on Thursday during the Blues’ 3-1 defeat in Calgary and he’ll be revaluated upon his return to the Gateway City. Since that other game that was going on Thursday night, it doesn’t look like any sports fans in St. Louis even knew the Blues were playing that night (let alone seeing Huskins get hurt).
The importance of losing Huskins may have less to do with his play on the ice, and more to do with the guys he plays with. Huskins has been paired up with budding superstar Alex Pietrangelo throughout the early going and the two have formed the best defensive pairing for the hot-and-cold Blues. That’s not to say Huskins has been a liability this season though. He’s scored a pair of goals and he’s among the league leaders (among defensemen) with a +6.
With Huskins out, the Blues will need guys like Roman Polak and Nikita Nikitin to step up their game in the short-term. Brian Elliott continuing his hot start between the pipes should help as well. They’ll get a chance to show their stuff Sunday night against the Edmonton Oilers—then they get almost a week of rest before they play against Vancouver Canucks on Friday.
By then, we’ll know just how long Huskins is going to be out of the lineup.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)