Oct 29, 2011, 2:46 PM EDT
According to a report from Aftonbladet in Sweden, the Maple Leafs are going to honor one of their own in the best way they can. Pension Plan Puppets shares the translated story about how Toronto will honor the number of former captain Mats Sundin.
The Leafs don’t retire numbers, but they will honor the hell out of them and Sundin will be the 16th player honored by the team with the ceremony being held on February 11 before a game against the Canadiens. Sure is nice to do these things with your hated rival in town.
Sundin played for 13 seasons in Toronto and spent 11 of those as the team captain. He was always their best forward and their top scorer and a guy who goes down in Toronto as one of their modern legends in the company of Doug Gilmour and Wendel Clark. Sundin will also be the second Swede recognized by the Leafs joining Borje Salming in that exclusive club.
Amazingly enough, Sundin wasn’t originally a Maple Leaf. Sundin was traded to Toronto in 1994 as part of a monster package deal that saw Wendel Clark head to Quebec, a trade that makes Leafs fans feel really awkward as it sent one hero out of town and brought another into the fold.
Must be nice to have a trade that works out pretty well as Sundin finished his career with 1,349 points and 564 goals and one really awkward season in Vancouver to end it all.
- Kronwalled: Red Wings D levels Lightning’s Kucherov 9
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)