Oct 29, 2011, 2:46 PM EDT
According to a report from Aftonbladet in Sweden, the Maple Leafs are going to honor one of their own in the best way they can. Pension Plan Puppets shares the translated story about how Toronto will honor the number of former captain Mats Sundin.
The Leafs don’t retire numbers, but they will honor the hell out of them and Sundin will be the 16th player honored by the team with the ceremony being held on February 11 before a game against the Canadiens. Sure is nice to do these things with your hated rival in town.
Sundin played for 13 seasons in Toronto and spent 11 of those as the team captain. He was always their best forward and their top scorer and a guy who goes down in Toronto as one of their modern legends in the company of Doug Gilmour and Wendel Clark. Sundin will also be the second Swede recognized by the Leafs joining Borje Salming in that exclusive club.
Amazingly enough, Sundin wasn’t originally a Maple Leaf. Sundin was traded to Toronto in 1994 as part of a monster package deal that saw Wendel Clark head to Quebec, a trade that makes Leafs fans feel really awkward as it sent one hero out of town and brought another into the fold.
Must be nice to have a trade that works out pretty well as Sundin finished his career with 1,349 points and 564 goals and one really awkward season in Vancouver to end it all.
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 4
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 47
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 14
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)