Oct 29, 2011, 2:46 PM EDT
According to a report from Aftonbladet in Sweden, the Maple Leafs are going to honor one of their own in the best way they can. Pension Plan Puppets shares the translated story about how Toronto will honor the number of former captain Mats Sundin.
The Leafs don’t retire numbers, but they will honor the hell out of them and Sundin will be the 16th player honored by the team with the ceremony being held on February 11 before a game against the Canadiens. Sure is nice to do these things with your hated rival in town.
Sundin played for 13 seasons in Toronto and spent 11 of those as the team captain. He was always their best forward and their top scorer and a guy who goes down in Toronto as one of their modern legends in the company of Doug Gilmour and Wendel Clark. Sundin will also be the second Swede recognized by the Leafs joining Borje Salming in that exclusive club.
Amazingly enough, Sundin wasn’t originally a Maple Leaf. Sundin was traded to Toronto in 1994 as part of a monster package deal that saw Wendel Clark head to Quebec, a trade that makes Leafs fans feel really awkward as it sent one hero out of town and brought another into the fold.
Must be nice to have a trade that works out pretty well as Sundin finished his career with 1,349 points and 564 goals and one really awkward season in Vancouver to end it all.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)