Oct 29, 2011, 8:47 PM EST
Chris Pronger met with the media between the first and second periods of the Flyers/Canes game at the Wells Fargo Center on Saturday night. The purpose of Pronger’s media scrum was to give everyone an update on his recovery process after taking an accidental stick in the eye from Toronto’s Mikhail Grabovski.
The good news is that he was able to meet with the media after being put on bed rest to recover from the eye injury. He says his vision is still “a little blurry,” but says it’s because of eyes drops and medication designed to make the swelling go down around his eye. He added that he was able to “gingerly” ride a stationary bike for a brief period of time on Saturday.
Since taking the stick in the eye, the Flyers organization said that he’ll be wearing a visor when he comes back from the severe scratch on his eye. When asked during the interview if visors should be mandatory for players in the NHL, Pronger responded exactly how you’d expect Pronger to respond: “You don’t want to hear my answer to that question.” It’ll be interesting to see if he, in fact, comes back with a visor, and if he wears it for the rest of the year.
It’s positive for all Flyers fans that the captain hasn’t suffered any major setbacks thus far as he tries to recover from the nearly tragic injury. The bad news is that he still has blurred vision in his eye and don’t have an idea of when he’ll come back. Initially, the team said he would be out 2-3 weeks for this type of injury—that was a week ago.
This is one of those situations that it’s best for the organization to err on the side of caution. Obviously, it’s better to be safe than sorry when talking about a player being able to see out on the ice.
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 5
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 3
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 9
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 20
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15