Oct 29, 2011, 8:47 PM EDT
Chris Pronger met with the media between the first and second periods of the Flyers/Canes game at the Wells Fargo Center on Saturday night. The purpose of Pronger’s media scrum was to give everyone an update on his recovery process after taking an accidental stick in the eye from Toronto’s Mikhail Grabovski.
The good news is that he was able to meet with the media after being put on bed rest to recover from the eye injury. He says his vision is still “a little blurry,” but says it’s because of eyes drops and medication designed to make the swelling go down around his eye. He added that he was able to “gingerly” ride a stationary bike for a brief period of time on Saturday.
Since taking the stick in the eye, the Flyers organization said that he’ll be wearing a visor when he comes back from the severe scratch on his eye. When asked during the interview if visors should be mandatory for players in the NHL, Pronger responded exactly how you’d expect Pronger to respond: “You don’t want to hear my answer to that question.” It’ll be interesting to see if he, in fact, comes back with a visor, and if he wears it for the rest of the year.
It’s positive for all Flyers fans that the captain hasn’t suffered any major setbacks thus far as he tries to recover from the nearly tragic injury. The bad news is that he still has blurred vision in his eye and don’t have an idea of when he’ll come back. Initially, the team said he would be out 2-3 weeks for this type of injury—that was a week ago.
This is one of those situations that it’s best for the organization to err on the side of caution. Obviously, it’s better to be safe than sorry when talking about a player being able to see out on the ice.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)