Oct 29, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Could the elimination of the goalie trapezoid reduce a lot of the injuries related to heavy forechecking? That’s something Sharks GM Doug Wilson might mention if he brings up the issue again. (ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.)
Believe it or not, the St. Louis Blues played a game on Oct. 28. Chances are that residents don’t care a whole lot that they dropped a 3-1 game to the Flames in Calgary on Friday. (Associated Press.)
Something tells me that Cam Ward would earn more shutouts if he played behind a legitimate defense, but it makes gems like his 30-save goose egg against the Chicago Blackhawks all that more special. (NHL.com)
It’s always fun to see a skater play the role of a goalie. Check out Detroit Red Wings defenseman Brad Stuart‘s solid attempts from last night’s lost to the San Jose Sharks.
One other highlight from the Red Wings-Sharks game: here’s a great would-be Tomas Holmstrom goal that ended up being disallowed.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 0
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 0
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)