Oct 29, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT
If we were silly enough to judge how the season will go based on the first few weeks of the year, tonight’s matchup between Tomas Vokoun and Roberto Luongo in Vancouver would be a brutally lopsided one.
Vokoun has been stellar going 6-1-0 with a goals against average under 2. Luongo, meanwhile, has been brutal going 2-3-1 with a goals against average of nearly 3.5 for his trouble as well as getting a lot of grief from the fans at home. If there’s one guy that Luongo has in his corner while he struggles though, it’s Vokoun.
Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times finds out that Vokoun knows just what Luongo is going through and he supports him.
“It happens to everybody. It’s a common thing,” Vokoun said. “One things as an NHL goaltender, you’re judged from not a week or two weeks. You’re judged on how consistent you are throughout the years. He’s been one of the best.”
We’re quick to pass judgment and give instant reactions when things are either good or bad and for Luongo, things have been bad since Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals. Luongo being a notoriously slow starter for the year is forgotten about at the start of each season and this year is no different. He’ll get it figured out and while Vokoun has his back, he’ll hope to do his part in extending his misery tonight.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)