Oct 29, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT
If we were silly enough to judge how the season will go based on the first few weeks of the year, tonight’s matchup between Tomas Vokoun and Roberto Luongo in Vancouver would be a brutally lopsided one.
Vokoun has been stellar going 6-1-0 with a goals against average under 2. Luongo, meanwhile, has been brutal going 2-3-1 with a goals against average of nearly 3.5 for his trouble as well as getting a lot of grief from the fans at home. If there’s one guy that Luongo has in his corner while he struggles though, it’s Vokoun.
Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times finds out that Vokoun knows just what Luongo is going through and he supports him.
“It happens to everybody. It’s a common thing,” Vokoun said. “One things as an NHL goaltender, you’re judged from not a week or two weeks. You’re judged on how consistent you are throughout the years. He’s been one of the best.”
We’re quick to pass judgment and give instant reactions when things are either good or bad and for Luongo, things have been bad since Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals. Luongo being a notoriously slow starter for the year is forgotten about at the start of each season and this year is no different. He’ll get it figured out and while Vokoun has his back, he’ll hope to do his part in extending his misery tonight.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)