Oct 29, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT
If we were silly enough to judge how the season will go based on the first few weeks of the year, tonight’s matchup between Tomas Vokoun and Roberto Luongo in Vancouver would be a brutally lopsided one.
Vokoun has been stellar going 6-1-0 with a goals against average under 2. Luongo, meanwhile, has been brutal going 2-3-1 with a goals against average of nearly 3.5 for his trouble as well as getting a lot of grief from the fans at home. If there’s one guy that Luongo has in his corner while he struggles though, it’s Vokoun.
Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times finds out that Vokoun knows just what Luongo is going through and he supports him.
“It happens to everybody. It’s a common thing,” Vokoun said. “One things as an NHL goaltender, you’re judged from not a week or two weeks. You’re judged on how consistent you are throughout the years. He’s been one of the best.”
We’re quick to pass judgment and give instant reactions when things are either good or bad and for Luongo, things have been bad since Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals. Luongo being a notoriously slow starter for the year is forgotten about at the start of each season and this year is no different. He’ll get it figured out and while Vokoun has his back, he’ll hope to do his part in extending his misery tonight.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 6
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 56
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)