Oct 29, 2011, 3:35 PM EST
If we were silly enough to judge how the season will go based on the first few weeks of the year, tonight’s matchup between Tomas Vokoun and Roberto Luongo in Vancouver would be a brutally lopsided one.
Vokoun has been stellar going 6-1-0 with a goals against average under 2. Luongo, meanwhile, has been brutal going 2-3-1 with a goals against average of nearly 3.5 for his trouble as well as getting a lot of grief from the fans at home. If there’s one guy that Luongo has in his corner while he struggles though, it’s Vokoun.
Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times finds out that Vokoun knows just what Luongo is going through and he supports him.
“It happens to everybody. It’s a common thing,” Vokoun said. “One things as an NHL goaltender, you’re judged from not a week or two weeks. You’re judged on how consistent you are throughout the years. He’s been one of the best.”
We’re quick to pass judgment and give instant reactions when things are either good or bad and for Luongo, things have been bad since Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals. Luongo being a notoriously slow starter for the year is forgotten about at the start of each season and this year is no different. He’ll get it figured out and while Vokoun has his back, he’ll hope to do his part in extending his misery tonight.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 8
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 84
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 75
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 66
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 46
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 171
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (171)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (84)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (76)