Oct 29, 2011, 12:02 AM EST
There are plenty of great top pick versus second overall pick battles in individual NHL draft years, but Nugent-Hopkins vs.Landeskog just doesn’t roll off the tongue quite like Hall-Seguin or Ovechkin-Malkin. (I think it’s already safe to say it’s better than Phillips-Zyuzin, though.)
Lack of panache aside, both rookies have been great assets for their teams, so tonight’s Edmonton Oilers-Colorado Avalanche game deserved a little more hype than it received in mainstream circles. A big youngster did indeed come up big, too, but it was in a more literal way; huge goalie Devan Dubnyk turned aside 40 out of 41 shots to secure a 3-1 win.
Landeskog certainly had his chances, though. The Swedish second overall pick fired six shots on goal while playing almost 18 minutes.
Nugent-Hopkins’ team won, but his first game as a guaranteed full-timer wasn’t very inspiring. He managed only one shot on goal, just 13:28 minutes of ice time and lost six out of nine faceoffs.
If you base “winners” on team play alone, then “RNH” made it 1-0 in the duel of 2011 top picks. I’d probably give Landeskog the nod, though, but maybe that means it was really a draw.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)