Oct 29, 2011, 12:17 PM EDT
If you were wondering when a player with an actually questionable history was going to be talked to by Brendan Shanahan for running afoul of the law, you can stop wondering.
Chicago’s Dan Carcillo had a questionable hit on Carolina’s Joni Pitkanen during last night’s 3-0 Carolina win that’s earned him a meeting with Shanahan to discuss a potential suspension. The hit was reminiscent of the hit Alex Ovechkin had on Brian Campbell two years ago that knocked Campbell out of business for a few weeks. It wasn’t so much a check as it was a shove from behind that put Pitkanen in peril.
As we see in the video… Sorry, got caught up in my Shanahan impression there. As we’ve seen in the preseason, these sorts of plays are being taken just as serious as shots to the head are, and with good reason. Plays like that from behind injure players just as badly as an errant elbow could. Carcillo’s play, however, wasn’t enough to earn a penalty in the game for it, so he’s got that working in his favor.
Shana-ban on the way, however? You just never know.
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 11
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 7
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 0
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)