Oct 29, 2011, 12:31 AM EDT
ESPN Boston’s Joe McDonald provided one of the strangest injury-related bits in quite some time on Friday: his sources say Tyler Seguin faces a heightened chance of hip problems.
The bad news
McDonald reports that “the condition could lead to an injury that requires surgery and potentially shorten his career.”
The good news
On the other hand, the hip issues a) aren’t a present concern and b) could be limited if Seguin is “proactive” about the potential problem. He can limit his risks by strengthening that area.
Putting it in perspective
Boston Bruins fans shouldn’t get too worried about this tidbit because the piece emphasizes that hip problems are often a way of life in the sport. The team estimates that 70 percent of its roster is either prone to problems or has experience dealing with hip injuries. David Krejci and Tim Thomas both fought through past ailments to become huge parts of the team’s 2011 Stanley Cup run.
So the bad news is that Seguin might be more susceptible to hip injuries to most. On the bright side, the Bruins identified the problem early and are accustomed to rolling with the punches with their centers. It’s a situation for GM Peter Chiarelli and the rest of the front office to monitor, but Bruins fans are right to look at shorter-term problems, like the fact that the defending champions are currently the lowest ranked team in the Eastern Conference.
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 0
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 28
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 50
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)