Oct 29, 2011, 12:31 AM EST
ESPN Boston’s Joe McDonald provided one of the strangest injury-related bits in quite some time on Friday: his sources say Tyler Seguin faces a heightened chance of hip problems.
The bad news
McDonald reports that “the condition could lead to an injury that requires surgery and potentially shorten his career.”
The good news
On the other hand, the hip issues a) aren’t a present concern and b) could be limited if Seguin is “proactive” about the potential problem. He can limit his risks by strengthening that area.
Putting it in perspective
Boston Bruins fans shouldn’t get too worried about this tidbit because the piece emphasizes that hip problems are often a way of life in the sport. The team estimates that 70 percent of its roster is either prone to problems or has experience dealing with hip injuries. David Krejci and Tim Thomas both fought through past ailments to become huge parts of the team’s 2011 Stanley Cup run.
So the bad news is that Seguin might be more susceptible to hip injuries to most. On the bright side, the Bruins identified the problem early and are accustomed to rolling with the punches with their centers. It’s a situation for GM Peter Chiarelli and the rest of the front office to monitor, but Bruins fans are right to look at shorter-term problems, like the fact that the defending champions are currently the lowest ranked team in the Eastern Conference.
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 52
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (159)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)