Oct 29, 2011, 12:31 AM EST
ESPN Boston’s Joe McDonald provided one of the strangest injury-related bits in quite some time on Friday: his sources say Tyler Seguin faces a heightened chance of hip problems.
The bad news
McDonald reports that “the condition could lead to an injury that requires surgery and potentially shorten his career.”
The good news
On the other hand, the hip issues a) aren’t a present concern and b) could be limited if Seguin is “proactive” about the potential problem. He can limit his risks by strengthening that area.
Putting it in perspective
Boston Bruins fans shouldn’t get too worried about this tidbit because the piece emphasizes that hip problems are often a way of life in the sport. The team estimates that 70 percent of its roster is either prone to problems or has experience dealing with hip injuries. David Krejci and Tim Thomas both fought through past ailments to become huge parts of the team’s 2011 Stanley Cup run.
So the bad news is that Seguin might be more susceptible to hip injuries to most. On the bright side, the Bruins identified the problem early and are accustomed to rolling with the punches with their centers. It’s a situation for GM Peter Chiarelli and the rest of the front office to monitor, but Bruins fans are right to look at shorter-term problems, like the fact that the defending champions are currently the lowest ranked team in the Eastern Conference.
- BREAKING: Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM 9
- Mike Richards clears waivers 22
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)