Oct 29, 2011, 12:31 AM EDT
ESPN Boston’s Joe McDonald provided one of the strangest injury-related bits in quite some time on Friday: his sources say Tyler Seguin faces a heightened chance of hip problems.
The bad news
McDonald reports that “the condition could lead to an injury that requires surgery and potentially shorten his career.”
The good news
On the other hand, the hip issues a) aren’t a present concern and b) could be limited if Seguin is “proactive” about the potential problem. He can limit his risks by strengthening that area.
Putting it in perspective
Boston Bruins fans shouldn’t get too worried about this tidbit because the piece emphasizes that hip problems are often a way of life in the sport. The team estimates that 70 percent of its roster is either prone to problems or has experience dealing with hip injuries. David Krejci and Tim Thomas both fought through past ailments to become huge parts of the team’s 2011 Stanley Cup run.
So the bad news is that Seguin might be more susceptible to hip injuries to most. On the bright side, the Bruins identified the problem early and are accustomed to rolling with the punches with their centers. It’s a situation for GM Peter Chiarelli and the rest of the front office to monitor, but Bruins fans are right to look at shorter-term problems, like the fact that the defending champions are currently the lowest ranked team in the Eastern Conference.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 6
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 33
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)