Oct 29, 2011, 3:57 PM EDT
Andy Sutton is about to become an expert on long suspensions in the NHL. During last night’s Edmonton win over Colorado, Sutton caught Avalanche rookie Gabriel Landeskog with a shot to the head while he wasn’t looking, putting Landeskog down on the ice. The hit also got Shane O’Brien to come after Sutton with his fists. The Sheriff isn’t to be trifled with.
Sutton has a face-to-face meeting with NHL safety guru Brendan Shanahan to discuss the play and likely wind up with a suspension of five or more games. Working against Sutton is the fact he has a prior record and the fact that he caught Landeskog with a shot which he appeared to target his head. So far reports from Colorado say that Landeskog is fine and he was back at practice today.
Even though the Oilers have a game on Sunday, Sutton won’t be allowed to play as he’s been suspended pending his hearing in New York City on Monday.
What do you think though? How long do you figure Sutton gets Shanabanned for this hit? Check out the video here to see for yourself.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)