Oct 29, 2011, 3:57 PM EDT
Andy Sutton is about to become an expert on long suspensions in the NHL. During last night’s Edmonton win over Colorado, Sutton caught Avalanche rookie Gabriel Landeskog with a shot to the head while he wasn’t looking, putting Landeskog down on the ice. The hit also got Shane O’Brien to come after Sutton with his fists. The Sheriff isn’t to be trifled with.
Sutton has a face-to-face meeting with NHL safety guru Brendan Shanahan to discuss the play and likely wind up with a suspension of five or more games. Working against Sutton is the fact he has a prior record and the fact that he caught Landeskog with a shot which he appeared to target his head. So far reports from Colorado say that Landeskog is fine and he was back at practice today.
Even though the Oilers have a game on Sunday, Sutton won’t be allowed to play as he’s been suspended pending his hearing in New York City on Monday.
What do you think though? How long do you figure Sutton gets Shanabanned for this hit? Check out the video here to see for yourself.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 3
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 2
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)