Oct 29, 2011, 3:57 PM EDT
Andy Sutton is about to become an expert on long suspensions in the NHL. During last night’s Edmonton win over Colorado, Sutton caught Avalanche rookie Gabriel Landeskog with a shot to the head while he wasn’t looking, putting Landeskog down on the ice. The hit also got Shane O’Brien to come after Sutton with his fists. The Sheriff isn’t to be trifled with.
Sutton has a face-to-face meeting with NHL safety guru Brendan Shanahan to discuss the play and likely wind up with a suspension of five or more games. Working against Sutton is the fact he has a prior record and the fact that he caught Landeskog with a shot which he appeared to target his head. So far reports from Colorado say that Landeskog is fine and he was back at practice today.
Even though the Oilers have a game on Sunday, Sutton won’t be allowed to play as he’s been suspended pending his hearing in New York City on Monday.
What do you think though? How long do you figure Sutton gets Shanabanned for this hit? Check out the video here to see for yourself.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5