Oct 29, 2011, 3:57 PM EDT
Andy Sutton is about to become an expert on long suspensions in the NHL. During last night’s Edmonton win over Colorado, Sutton caught Avalanche rookie Gabriel Landeskog with a shot to the head while he wasn’t looking, putting Landeskog down on the ice. The hit also got Shane O’Brien to come after Sutton with his fists. The Sheriff isn’t to be trifled with.
Sutton has a face-to-face meeting with NHL safety guru Brendan Shanahan to discuss the play and likely wind up with a suspension of five or more games. Working against Sutton is the fact he has a prior record and the fact that he caught Landeskog with a shot which he appeared to target his head. So far reports from Colorado say that Landeskog is fine and he was back at practice today.
Even though the Oilers have a game on Sunday, Sutton won’t be allowed to play as he’s been suspended pending his hearing in New York City on Monday.
What do you think though? How long do you figure Sutton gets Shanabanned for this hit? Check out the video here to see for yourself.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)