Yes, that’s pink ice

Oct 28, 2011, 1:58 PM EST

source:
Image courtesy Regina Leader-Post

The Regina Pats and Edmonton Oil Kings will play a WHL game on pink ice tonight to raise awareness for breast cancer. The players will also wear pink-trimmed jerseys. Even the hotdogs at Regina’s Brandt Centre will be pink.*

“It’s a special event,” Regina defenseman Brandon Underwood told the Regina Leader-Post. “A couple of my friends, their moms have breast cancer. It’s a really cool thing to do something for a good cause and raise a lot of money. All the guys are excited. It’s like dress-up time. You get the pink ice and guys are going to mess around with their gear and put pink stuff on it. I’ll try to think of something cool to do. It’s all for a good cause and the fans get excited. I think it’ll be a good game.”

There have been hockey games played on pink ice before. And because there have been hockey games played on pink ice, there have been hockey fights on pink ice.

In a related story, I think I’m going blind.

Fortunately for the fans attending tonight’s game, Pats ice maker Andrew Higgins has done his best to make staring at the ice less excruciating. The key, he says, is to not use too much pink.

“We’ve seen a couple of videos where I know they didn’t call and ask for directions,” Higgins said, as reported by CBC.ca. “They just dumped the whole pail of pink in and you could hardly see the lines.”

*The hotdogs will not be pink.

1. anotheryx - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Only one question… wtf is that twirl move the ref did in the vid when players went down?

• kopy - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Hahaha, good call. Looks like was just skating in too fast, almost fell onto the players, and kinda spun to catch his balance.

• chestersashes - Oct 29, 2011 at 6:20 PM

It was the estrogen that their bodies released in response to being forced to play on a gay ice rink.

2. michiganhockey11 - Oct 28, 2011 at 3:11 PM

That’s nothing. Each year the Kalamazoo, MIchigan K-Wings (ECHL) have a Beer Night and they dye the ice to look like a golden brew. In all actuality, it looks piss yellow, but still a site to see.

3. seaner44 - Oct 28, 2011 at 3:26 PM

That is hard to look at.

4. chestersashes - Oct 29, 2011 at 6:19 PM

This Hockey loves cancer crap is getting out of hand. I’m already doing everything I can to remain blissfully unaware of all the attempts at “raising awareness” and if this obnoxious attention persists, I’m going to start wishing there was MORE cancer in the world. (Who wants to start the pool on how long it will take someone to wish cancer upon me or my family?)

Eakins on his way out of Edmonton?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches