Oct 28, 2011, 1:58 PM EDT
The Regina Pats and Edmonton Oil Kings will play a WHL game on pink ice tonight to raise awareness for breast cancer. The players will also wear pink-trimmed jerseys. Even the hotdogs at Regina’s Brandt Centre will be pink.*
“It’s a special event,” Regina defenseman Brandon Underwood told the Regina Leader-Post. “A couple of my friends, their moms have breast cancer. It’s a really cool thing to do something for a good cause and raise a lot of money. All the guys are excited. It’s like dress-up time. You get the pink ice and guys are going to mess around with their gear and put pink stuff on it. I’ll try to think of something cool to do. It’s all for a good cause and the fans get excited. I think it’ll be a good game.”
There have been hockey games played on pink ice before. And because there have been hockey games played on pink ice, there have been hockey fights on pink ice.
In a related story, I think I’m going blind.
Fortunately for the fans attending tonight’s game, Pats ice maker Andrew Higgins has done his best to make staring at the ice less excruciating. The key, he says, is to not use too much pink.
“We’ve seen a couple of videos where I know they didn’t call and ask for directions,” Higgins said, as reported by CBC.ca. “They just dumped the whole pail of pink in and you could hardly see the lines.”
*The hotdogs will not be pink.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 36
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)