Oct 28, 2011, 1:58 PM EDT
The Regina Pats and Edmonton Oil Kings will play a WHL game on pink ice tonight to raise awareness for breast cancer. The players will also wear pink-trimmed jerseys. Even the hotdogs at Regina’s Brandt Centre will be pink.*
“It’s a special event,” Regina defenseman Brandon Underwood told the Regina Leader-Post. “A couple of my friends, their moms have breast cancer. It’s a really cool thing to do something for a good cause and raise a lot of money. All the guys are excited. It’s like dress-up time. You get the pink ice and guys are going to mess around with their gear and put pink stuff on it. I’ll try to think of something cool to do. It’s all for a good cause and the fans get excited. I think it’ll be a good game.”
There have been hockey games played on pink ice before. And because there have been hockey games played on pink ice, there have been hockey fights on pink ice.
In a related story, I think I’m going blind.
Fortunately for the fans attending tonight’s game, Pats ice maker Andrew Higgins has done his best to make staring at the ice less excruciating. The key, he says, is to not use too much pink.
“We’ve seen a couple of videos where I know they didn’t call and ask for directions,” Higgins said, as reported by CBC.ca. “They just dumped the whole pail of pink in and you could hardly see the lines.”
*The hotdogs will not be pink.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)