Oct 28, 2011, 1:58 PM EST
The Regina Pats and Edmonton Oil Kings will play a WHL game on pink ice tonight to raise awareness for breast cancer. The players will also wear pink-trimmed jerseys. Even the hotdogs at Regina’s Brandt Centre will be pink.*
“It’s a special event,” Regina defenseman Brandon Underwood told the Regina Leader-Post. “A couple of my friends, their moms have breast cancer. It’s a really cool thing to do something for a good cause and raise a lot of money. All the guys are excited. It’s like dress-up time. You get the pink ice and guys are going to mess around with their gear and put pink stuff on it. I’ll try to think of something cool to do. It’s all for a good cause and the fans get excited. I think it’ll be a good game.”
There have been hockey games played on pink ice before. And because there have been hockey games played on pink ice, there have been hockey fights on pink ice.
In a related story, I think I’m going blind.
Fortunately for the fans attending tonight’s game, Pats ice maker Andrew Higgins has done his best to make staring at the ice less excruciating. The key, he says, is to not use too much pink.
“We’ve seen a couple of videos where I know they didn’t call and ask for directions,” Higgins said, as reported by CBC.ca. “They just dumped the whole pail of pink in and you could hardly see the lines.”
*The hotdogs will not be pink.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 141
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 116
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (142)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (116)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)