Oct 28, 2011, 1:58 PM EDT
The Regina Pats and Edmonton Oil Kings will play a WHL game on pink ice tonight to raise awareness for breast cancer. The players will also wear pink-trimmed jerseys. Even the hotdogs at Regina’s Brandt Centre will be pink.*
“It’s a special event,” Regina defenseman Brandon Underwood told the Regina Leader-Post. “A couple of my friends, their moms have breast cancer. It’s a really cool thing to do something for a good cause and raise a lot of money. All the guys are excited. It’s like dress-up time. You get the pink ice and guys are going to mess around with their gear and put pink stuff on it. I’ll try to think of something cool to do. It’s all for a good cause and the fans get excited. I think it’ll be a good game.”
There have been hockey games played on pink ice before. And because there have been hockey games played on pink ice, there have been hockey fights on pink ice.
In a related story, I think I’m going blind.
Fortunately for the fans attending tonight’s game, Pats ice maker Andrew Higgins has done his best to make staring at the ice less excruciating. The key, he says, is to not use too much pink.
“We’ve seen a couple of videos where I know they didn’t call and ask for directions,” Higgins said, as reported by CBC.ca. “They just dumped the whole pail of pink in and you could hardly see the lines.”
*The hotdogs will not be pink.
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 9
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 35
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 19
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 33
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 107
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (107)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful