Oct 28, 2011, 10:02 AM EST
If Sean Avery was to give an Oscar-like speech, it might go something like, “You guys like me. You really, really like me!”
There was an immense show of support some Rangers fans showed for him during last night’s home opener in the form of a massive banner as Mike Mazzeo of ESPN shared.
As a fan named Don shared in the story, he feels that the Rangers need a spark plug-like guy like Avery in their lineup to keep the team going. Don isn’t the only one feeling that way either as Henrik Lundqvist more or less said the same thing.
“We have players that can bring spark here for this group,” Henrik Lundqvist said after the Rangers were drubbed, 4-2, in their home opener by Toronto. “Obviously, Aves he is one of a kind when it comes to playing the game the way he plays it, and he brings a lot to the table. He’s a great player obviously, but right now the management thinks this is the best team possible and we’re just gonna go with that.”
Seeing fans respond that way for any player they feel the team needs is nothing new. But supporting Sean Avery? That’s a new one. Avery upsetting opposing fans is nothing new, but getting even the home fans to rally around him that way is stunning.
Do the Rangers need him though? Given that there’s a rotation of guys no contributing a whole lot to the team in Kris Newbury, Erik Christensen, and occasionally Wojtek Wolski… Maybe there’s a place in New York for Sean Avery after all. After what coach John Tortorella has said about Avery this year, however, there might be more appearances by banners in Madison Square Garden this season than there will be from Avery.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 3
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 5
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8