Oct 28, 2011, 10:02 AM EST
If Sean Avery was to give an Oscar-like speech, it might go something like, “You guys like me. You really, really like me!”
There was an immense show of support some Rangers fans showed for him during last night’s home opener in the form of a massive banner as Mike Mazzeo of ESPN shared.
As a fan named Don shared in the story, he feels that the Rangers need a spark plug-like guy like Avery in their lineup to keep the team going. Don isn’t the only one feeling that way either as Henrik Lundqvist more or less said the same thing.
“We have players that can bring spark here for this group,” Henrik Lundqvist said after the Rangers were drubbed, 4-2, in their home opener by Toronto. “Obviously, Aves he is one of a kind when it comes to playing the game the way he plays it, and he brings a lot to the table. He’s a great player obviously, but right now the management thinks this is the best team possible and we’re just gonna go with that.”
Seeing fans respond that way for any player they feel the team needs is nothing new. But supporting Sean Avery? That’s a new one. Avery upsetting opposing fans is nothing new, but getting even the home fans to rally around him that way is stunning.
Do the Rangers need him though? Given that there’s a rotation of guys no contributing a whole lot to the team in Kris Newbury, Erik Christensen, and occasionally Wojtek Wolski… Maybe there’s a place in New York for Sean Avery after all. After what coach John Tortorella has said about Avery this year, however, there might be more appearances by banners in Madison Square Garden this season than there will be from Avery.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 23
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 76
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)