Oct 28, 2011, 2:47 PM EST
Some rather surprising news out of Toronto, where Leafs coach Ron Wilson told reporters he expected goalie James Reimer (the guy suffering the concussion-like symptoms without the concussion) to start Sunday in Ottawa.
Toronto GM Brian Burke has attempted to explain Reimer’s symptoms, though the local media remains skeptical.
“It’s not a concussion,” Burke said, as reported by Sportsnet.ca. “He’s being treated for concussion-like symptoms. There’s a rating system they use and he rated very low in all areas as to if it is a concussion or not. We’re not sure if it’s whiplash related.
“It’s not (a concussion) and if it were, we’d say that. It’s not like we’re trying to be evasive here. We are evasive when we need to be; when we don’t want a player to get targeted. To this point the doctors have not told me one time it’s a concussion.”
The Leafs got a clutch performance out of back-up Jonas Gustavsson last night at Madison Square Garden, where Toronto beat the Rangers, 4-2. The Monster will start Saturday at home versus the streaking Penguins.
Gustavsson also backed off comments he made yesterday about Reimer’s absence when he said “you never know with concussions.” Gustavsson now says he misspoke, as he didn’t fully understand Reimer’s condition. No word whether Wilson made Gustavsson sleep outside last night.
In other Leafs news, Phil Kessel left practice early today. Wilson said his star sniper is just “banged up” and expects him to play tomorrow.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 51
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (51)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)