Oct 28, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
Some rather surprising news out of Toronto, where Leafs coach Ron Wilson told reporters he expected goalie James Reimer (the guy suffering the concussion-like symptoms without the concussion) to start Sunday in Ottawa.
Toronto GM Brian Burke has attempted to explain Reimer’s symptoms, though the local media remains skeptical.
“It’s not a concussion,” Burke said, as reported by Sportsnet.ca. “He’s being treated for concussion-like symptoms. There’s a rating system they use and he rated very low in all areas as to if it is a concussion or not. We’re not sure if it’s whiplash related.
“It’s not (a concussion) and if it were, we’d say that. It’s not like we’re trying to be evasive here. We are evasive when we need to be; when we don’t want a player to get targeted. To this point the doctors have not told me one time it’s a concussion.”
The Leafs got a clutch performance out of back-up Jonas Gustavsson last night at Madison Square Garden, where Toronto beat the Rangers, 4-2. The Monster will start Saturday at home versus the streaking Penguins.
Gustavsson also backed off comments he made yesterday about Reimer’s absence when he said “you never know with concussions.” Gustavsson now says he misspoke, as he didn’t fully understand Reimer’s condition. No word whether Wilson made Gustavsson sleep outside last night.
In other Leafs news, Phil Kessel left practice early today. Wilson said his star sniper is just “banged up” and expects him to play tomorrow.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 11
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 13
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5