Oct 28, 2011, 2:47 PM EST
Some rather surprising news out of Toronto, where Leafs coach Ron Wilson told reporters he expected goalie James Reimer (the guy suffering the concussion-like symptoms without the concussion) to start Sunday in Ottawa.
Toronto GM Brian Burke has attempted to explain Reimer’s symptoms, though the local media remains skeptical.
“It’s not a concussion,” Burke said, as reported by Sportsnet.ca. “He’s being treated for concussion-like symptoms. There’s a rating system they use and he rated very low in all areas as to if it is a concussion or not. We’re not sure if it’s whiplash related.
“It’s not (a concussion) and if it were, we’d say that. It’s not like we’re trying to be evasive here. We are evasive when we need to be; when we don’t want a player to get targeted. To this point the doctors have not told me one time it’s a concussion.”
The Leafs got a clutch performance out of back-up Jonas Gustavsson last night at Madison Square Garden, where Toronto beat the Rangers, 4-2. The Monster will start Saturday at home versus the streaking Penguins.
Gustavsson also backed off comments he made yesterday about Reimer’s absence when he said “you never know with concussions.” Gustavsson now says he misspoke, as he didn’t fully understand Reimer’s condition. No word whether Wilson made Gustavsson sleep outside last night.
In other Leafs news, Phil Kessel left practice early today. Wilson said his star sniper is just “banged up” and expects him to play tomorrow.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 7
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 9
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 8
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)