Oct 28, 2011, 2:47 PM EST
Some rather surprising news out of Toronto, where Leafs coach Ron Wilson told reporters he expected goalie James Reimer (the guy suffering the concussion-like symptoms without the concussion) to start Sunday in Ottawa.
Toronto GM Brian Burke has attempted to explain Reimer’s symptoms, though the local media remains skeptical.
“It’s not a concussion,” Burke said, as reported by Sportsnet.ca. “He’s being treated for concussion-like symptoms. There’s a rating system they use and he rated very low in all areas as to if it is a concussion or not. We’re not sure if it’s whiplash related.
“It’s not (a concussion) and if it were, we’d say that. It’s not like we’re trying to be evasive here. We are evasive when we need to be; when we don’t want a player to get targeted. To this point the doctors have not told me one time it’s a concussion.”
The Leafs got a clutch performance out of back-up Jonas Gustavsson last night at Madison Square Garden, where Toronto beat the Rangers, 4-2. The Monster will start Saturday at home versus the streaking Penguins.
Gustavsson also backed off comments he made yesterday about Reimer’s absence when he said “you never know with concussions.” Gustavsson now says he misspoke, as he didn’t fully understand Reimer’s condition. No word whether Wilson made Gustavsson sleep outside last night.
In other Leafs news, Phil Kessel left practice early today. Wilson said his star sniper is just “banged up” and expects him to play tomorrow.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 3
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)